Chapter 138

The host greeted us at the front door and ushered us inside. He proceeded to show us the entire place pointing out every bell and whistle it had to offer.

It was a modern styled villa with a giant, green backyard and its own private section of the beach. The beach was sandy yet rocky with a lot of spikey edges for the waves to crash against. There were a couple lounge chairs and an umbrella plus a ladder leading down into the water off a flat rock.

The host offered to stick around if we needed him to but Noel told him we didn't and kindly sent him on his way. He left us his number just in case before bidding us farewell and to enjoy our holiday.

I scanned the living room for a few seconds then headed for the backyard. The trees on either side of me shaded me from the sun well but there were still parts where their leaves couldn't guard from the heat.

I stepped out onto that section of the wooden sidewalk and sat down. The wood beneath me felt a comfortable temperature along with the rays beaming down on me. I gazed out at the water beyond my location wondering just how far it stretched.

Noel cleared his throat quietly as he sat down beside me. "Addie, you've lost your shoes." He noticed.

"No, I haven't." I denied shaking my head. "I left 'em in the gaff. Don't need 'em on the sidewalk but I ain't about to step out on that grass and step on a bee!" I peered over at the section of the lawn to my right.

"And when you might think you're gonna cry, you will be alright. Step out tonight." He sang. "You might think you're gonna cry. It will be alright. Step out tonight."

I rolled my eyes. "D'ya really think it necessary to have four bedrooms and three baths?"

He shrugged. "It come with the territory so I guess there weren't much choice."

"Yes, there was. We could've chosen to just stay home. With the pets-"

"Yeah, we could've but we needed to get away."

"We're always away."

"We're allowed to get away. It's good for us to get away."

"Yep." I muttered.

He sighed. "C'mon, Adds. We're meant to enjoy this. It's a beautiful place. Beautiful day-"

"Oh, I can see that!" I waved off in front of myself. "It's beautiful and lovely and luxurious and all them other adjectives common folk can only dream of!"

"C'mon, Adds! Don't look a fuckin' gift horse in the mouth!"

"I ain't allowed to have no horses! I ain't even-"

"You've got donkeys." He reminded me. "And all them mates of yours down the road-"

"Don't get to see them mates of mine too often, do I?" I snapped.

He tutted. "I'm just tryin' to do summat nice for ya!"

"Ya coulda been nicer and just took me the fuck home! Why the fuck are we even here anyway?"

"I just fuckin' told ya why!"

"No, you fuckin' didn't!"

"Yes, I fuckin' did!"

"No, you fuckin'-"

"Fuck this!" He exclaimed throwing his hands in the air. "I'm fuckin' tired of this shit!"