Chapter 95

What a life it would be

If you would come to mine for tea

I'll pick you up at half past three

We'll have lasagne

            There'd be no one to pick me up at the airport. I knew that before I even boarded the flight. I'd be in charge of navigating to my destination when the plane finally touched down and I wasn't about to argue with that part of the arrangement.

I'll treat you like a queen

I'll give you strawberries and cream

Then your friends will all go green

For my lasagne

            Would there be food when I got there? I was too nervous to eat during the flight even though there'd been plenty on offer.

            But regardless of what this invitation included, I knew I had to take it without question.

These could be the best days of our lives

But I don't think we've been living very wise

Oh no! no!

            The music was always with me no matter how much I tried to escape it. I inspired some of the songs so there was no way I could avoid them, try as I might. I'd been around them for so long they were permanently stuck in my head...even the ones I didn't get the chance to witness their recording.

            Digsy thought the song was the dumbest thing he ever heard and Liam hated singing it. Noel felt the need for a joke track on each album...but I wasn't laughing when that one popped into my head as I waited for my suitcase to come around on the luggage carousel.

            My palms felt a little sweaty as I clenched my fists watching the belt go around and around. The sooner my bag came the sooner I'd have to face the music.

            And not just in my own head.

What a life it would be

If you would come to mine for tea

I'll pick you up at half past three

We'll have lasagne

            The belt kept on its continuous rotation until my suitcase finally appeared. I snatched it up and headed for the exit.

I'll treat you like a queen

I'll give you strawberries and cream

            My heart pounded as the music filled my ears with every step of the way. What was waiting for me when I finally got outside? Deep in the suburbs of Manchester?

Then your friends will all go green

For my lasagne

            No one paid me any attention in as I made my way through Manchester. The airport security's eyes may have widened a little when they saw the name on my passport but without a certain someone next to me, I don't think they actually believed I could be that girl.

            I didn't have to give any form of ID when I got in the taxi either. Just the address of my destination and it wasn't until we got there did the driver's eyes widen as well. But even still, I'm sure there were tons of people who flagged down that same taxi with the same intentions of going to Cranwell Avenue...even though they wouldn't be invited in for a cuppa.