Chapter 140

A cold and frosty morning described the next few to a tee. Frigid enough for plants to need covered if people wanted to protect them through the weather.

I worried Penny's lambs would need covered as well and even considered getting them blankets...or bringing them into the house.

"Addie, we don't need to get that extreme." Noel assured me. "It's not that cold. Our Penny'll look after 'em. Plus they're designed to handle worse elements than this anyway."

He was right which he knew of course so I trusted they'd be okay. They still had a few weeks before winter would set in which gave them time to grow and prepare.

I checked them every morning sometimes with Noel, sometimes without. It all depended if he was awake or not.

I always tried to let him sleep if I could and didn't mind letting him do so.

"Good morning, Young Prince!" I greeted Prince as I scooped him up and sat down on an empty feedbag on the floor of the stall with him in my lap.

He lay there quietly enjoying me stroking his poll. His wool there was soft and curly and seemed to be growing more with each passing day.

"Adds?" Noel called as he entered the barn. "Addie, are ya in here? Adds?"

"Yep!" I replied hoping to prevent a panic.

"Thought so." He opened the gate and stepped inside the stall.

I smirked to myself noticing the sweatpants and barn boots he was wearing as he walked in and sat down beside me. It always seemed so weird seeing him wear those kinds of clothes but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

"Why didn't ya wake me?" He asked.

"'Cuz you were sleeping." I told him.

"Yeah, I know but you still coulda woke me. I like comin' out with ya to do the mornin' checks. And it should be a family affair 'cuz we're a family, y'know."

I smiled. "True."

He smiled back just as Rupert meandered over to us. "Alright, Rupe!" He petted him along the bridge of his nose. "How's it goin'?"

Rupert just stared at him silently.

"Yeah, I know. You've been left holdin' the shite sandwich, haven't ya? I know what it feels like. I feel your pain, mate. I really do. You're not our Addie's golden boy no more 'cuz she's gone and replaced ya with these little ram lambs here." He pointed at them.

I rolled my eyes while still petting Prince. "Say 'ram lambs' again."

"Ram lambs." He repeated without question or objection.

I smiled hearing it echo in my mind. The vowels always sounded so lovely in his accent.

Penny came over to us a few seconds later with Cinder and Ella toddling behind her. She sniffed at Prince's muzzle and face making sure he was all in one piece.

He hopped off my lap after a few good sniffs then made his way back to his mother's udder. He found a teat and latched on pushing it upwards with his nose to get the milk flowing. He wagged his tail in delight once it started and my heart began to melt.

His sister and brother joined him and they all somehow managed to nurse together.

"Breakfast of Champions, eh?" Noel mused while we watched them.