Chapter 111

I stayed awake for most of the night sleeping only when my tears had somehow forced me to. I rose with the sun hopping out of bed and getting my shit together as it slowly crept in through the curtains.

Liam and I didn't speak to each other as we gathered our things that morning. There was nothing to say even though I was pissed off enough to come up with something.

I went into me and Noel's bedroom and my jaw dropped to the floor as I stood in the doorway scanning the room. Noel was long gone. I didn't even hear him leave. The only thing that remained of him was the twisted up blankets and pillows on the otherwise empty bed.

Tears clouded my eyes as I gazed around hoping maybe he was just hiding in the bathroom. But I knew better than to believe he'd pop out and listen to my apology. My explanation of why I fucked everything up.

I turned to leave but stopped myself when I noticed something on the nightstand on my side of the bed. I thought it was another one of the cards they'd left with the turndown service that contained an African proverb but I was sadly mistaken.

Addie

I stared at my name etched across the folded piece of paper in that familiar chicken scratch. I unfolded it expecting to see even more of that handwriting but there was none.

Just a shiny silver quarter that slid out into my hand.

"You ready?" Liam called from outside.

"Yeah!" I almost muttered.

The Magical Express took us and the rest of the bus load full of people to the airport. It was pretty quiet the whole way and I tuned out any minimal noise by focusing up on the TV in front of us.

The host of the show thanked us all for coming to Disney and hoped we enjoyed our stay. Then she began her spiel about planning our next visit and joining the Disney Vacation Club to make the most of the magic.

All the people in the video looked so thrilled to be in the parks. All the families and children and my heart dropped a bit at their happiness. The happiness I took from Noel and couldn't give back.

We got to the airport, went through security, then moved on to find our gate.

"Go on without me." I told Liam shooing him off while I stayed put where I was. "I'll catch up."

He stared at me confused. "Nah. I'll just wait for ya." He replied.

"Fine." I stepped away and towards the payphone.

I picked up the phone and dug a coin out of my wallet.

You say you were wrong to ever leave me alone

Now you're sorry, you're lonesome, and scared

And you say you'd be happy if you could just come back home

I was too proud to use anything but my own money and I'm sure Noel knew that...but he couldn't leave without making sure I did.

Well, here's a quarter, call someone who cares

"Hello?" The puzzled voice spoke into the phone.

"Hey, it's me." I replied into the receiver.

"Addie? Wh-"

"I need you to come pick me up at the airport."

Call someone who'll listen, or might give a damn