Chapter 69

Peggy's tests all came back good and she was discharged from the hospital a couple days later. It was like a giant weight had been lifted off the boys' shoulders and I was so glad she (and them) were okay.

            The album still had a lot of production work to get done but Liam and Noel were in no hurry to get back to the studio. We planned to stay in Manchester for a few more days to make sure Peggy was all the way back on her feet.

            I was in the kitchen helping Peggy clean up from breakfast (which consisted of the boys chowing down on all those baked goods rather than actual breakfast food) while Noel sat in the living room watching TV. Paul and Emma were upstairs and apparently Liam was too.

            He came down a few minutes later though tossing a soccer ball in his hands. He put it down on the floor and I turned back to the dishes.

            And then there was a crash.

            "Oops!" He muttered.

            "Fuck's sake, Liam!" Peggy exclaimed. "Have you busted up my china cabinet?"

            "No I never! I just...well I didn't fuckin' break nothin'!"

            I rolled my eyes as I went out to assess the damage. Surprisingly, there wasn't any.

            "See?" He said with a shrug. "I told ya!"

            I crossed my arms. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to play soccer in the house?"

            "Well, we don't have a goal post outside so I've no choice!" He whined. "This cabinet here, yeah?" He pointed to the wooden part of it just below the glass. "Is the best I can do."

            I sighed. "Get out!" I ordered pointing to the door.

            "But-"

            "Get out!" I pushed him towards it. "And take your football hooliganism with you!" I followed him through the kitchen.

            Noel sprung up from his place on the couch. "Hold up! Where are yous goin'?!"

            The sidewalk was quiet as Liam led the way. He kicked the ball along while Noel and I followed close behind him.

            "It's his fault we haven't got any goal posts." Liam revealed pointing at Noel.

            Noel held his drag off his cigarette. "How the fuck's it my fault?" He inquired blowing out a cloud of smoke.

            "'Cuz you broke 'em! We had a couple a flower pots, right? That Mam didn't want no more and that City Jinx there!" He pointed at Noel. "Broke the-"

            "I'm not the fuckin' City Jinx!" Noel defended. "That's your title, yeah? Fuckin' ruined every match we ever went to 'cuz we were forced to-"

            "Didn't see 'em pickin' you for that match, did they?" Liam through his hands up in a challenge. "So who the fuck's-"

            "Gimme that ball!" Noel jumped for it.

            "Get to fuck!" Liam kicked it back in between his ankles and held his hands up to keep Noel away.

            We ended up in a park. The boys made sure to inform me it was the one where they filmed the video for "Shakermaker". A fixture from their childhood with apparently one hell of a good football pitch.