Chapter 83

It was cool enough to wear a sweatshirt when we left the hotel to go to the beach. I put one on over my bathing suit along with a pair of shorts. The boys did the same and looked almost identical without even trying.

            The sun peeked above the horizon – that bright orange glow slowly crept up and cast on the water. I watched it move higher and higher as it greeted the day.

            The beach was quiet that morning and continued to be even when more people started to arrive. By midday, it was packed with adults and children swimming, lounging, and doing other beach activities.

            Liam, Noel, and I managed to find a peaceful section of the sand away from most of the people. We laid our beach towels out and soaked up the sun.

            The warmth from the sky heated me right up as I lay there between the two brothers. I was about to fall asleep until Noel sidled up even closer to me.

            "Falling, I see you on the way down." He sang into my ear. "I'll meet you on the rebound or somewhere in between."

            I smiled to myself not knowing the song but liking it nonetheless.

            He smiled against my ear and continued singing.

Calling out across the airwaves

Faces that you can't say are calling out for me

And oh me, oh my, say so long baby, bye-bye

Pour me one for the road, it's a long journey baby

Where it's gonna take me just depends on the weight of my load

Oh no, depends on the weight of my load

So long, I'll see you in the next one

'Cause everybody's been and gone, there's no one here but me

And oh me, oh my, say so long baby, bye-bye

Pour me one for the road, it's a long journey baby

Where it's gonna take me just depends on the weight of my load

Oh no, depends on the weight of my load

            He draped his hand over my ribs and rolled over closer pressing against me. "Dry land sinking in the quicksand. Stranded on the wrong beach." He sang softly into my ear. "Come and rescue me."

            I giggled as he kissed my cheek.

            Liam shifted his legs next to me grumbling quietly. "Weirdo!" He exclaimed pointing over me at Noel. "Weir-do!"

            I shrugged my eyebrows behind my sunglasses.

            Noel chuckled and squeezed me a little tighter. "The people here on life's beaches. They wish upon the waves that hide the sand." He sang into my ear again. "Let them know that life teaches you to build a castle in your hand."

            "Make him stop, Tix!" Liam whined. "He's doin' me head in with that bollocks!"

            I sat up and moved down to the end of my towel. I reached down into the sand and started scooping it with my hands.

            "What're ya doin'?" Liam asked curiously.

            "Digging a hole." I replied not turning around to face him. "What's it look like I'm doing?"