Chapter 79

We had the post office hold our mail until we got back. It was much easier than having someone check our mailbox every day and when we returned we had several stacks waiting for us.

It was mostly for Noel – fan letters and that sort of thing. He read every single one and it made me smile to see him do so.

He was about halfway through one stack while I busied myself at the stove. I decided to make some cupcakes which were finally cool enough to ice.

"Here. Try these." I instructed setting two cupcakes down in front of him on the island.

"What? Both of 'em?" He asked curiously.

I nodded. "Yeah. Need you to tell me which one you like better."

He nodded in reply and began peeling the wrapper back on one of them. He took a bite and noticed something. "There's blueberries inside this." He remarked with his mouth full.

"Yeah there is." I replied with a smile.

He took another bite and I got back to icing the rest of the cupcakes. I squeezed the bottle making the white icing swirl out onto the top of one. I twisted it at the top trying to make one of those points. I was no expert baker but I didn't think I was doing too bad.

"Strawberries." Noel mused after he began the second cupcake. "Where's the cream?"

I smirked at him. "I reckon that's your department." I replied setting one of the freshly iced cupcakes in the storage container.

He chuckled as he chewed up the piece in his mouth.

"Okay." I looked up at him when he finally finished. "What's your verdict?"

"Well they're both good but y'know I like blueberries so I'm gonna have to go with the blueberry one."

"Okay. Which one do you think Paul would like better?" I asked.

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What's that matter?" He inquired. "Our Paul'll eat anythin' ya put in front of him. He's not picky."

I shrugged my eyebrows. "Suppose we'll do both then. Emma'd probably like-"

"What's she got to do with it?"

"Well they're for her and Paul's engagement party-"

"Oh for fuck's sake!" He exclaimed.

"What's the matter?" I asked curiously. It was so easy for him to sour at times.

"What's the matter?" He raised his eyebrows. "Are ya takin' the piss?"

"No. I-"

"Why's it your job to plan the party, eh? Why can't they do it their fuckin' selves?"

"'Cuz Emma's my sister-"

"So?" He interrupted me. "Paul's my brother but that still don't mean I wanna throw a party for him."

"Dinner then." I suggested. "We'll just have dinner with the family instead. We can fly Mom and Dad over and your mom-"

"No!" He said firmly. "I'm tired of parties. I'm tired of people in and out this fuckin' house. They want it so badly they can do it without us!"

I sighed. "Whatever!"

He turned back to the mail while I turned back to the cupcakes. Things were quiet for a couple minutes. I could see the white card he was holding out of the corner of my eye but didn't think much of it. It was probably just another fan letter.