Chapter 3: Avatar AU

Pidge woke up to the sound of the horns blaring. Faster than lightning she was up, staff in hand. She rushed down stairs and burst out the door. The village seemed calm, but looks can be deceiving. 

     The horn blared again, and Pidge ran to the villages southern border, the place where the horn seemed to be sounding from. Pidge charged over the hill and stopped dead in her tracks. The strangers, Allura, and Lance were all fighting off twenty Firebender soldiers. A few were down, maybe three at the most. 

     Pidge didn't hesitate for a second as she charged into the battlefield. A Firebenders nearby saw her and charged, arms raised as he came in for an attack, wielding his axe. Pidge side stepped as the stone axe split the ice where she used to be. His axe was firmly lodge in the ice and snow, so he let go and unsheathed a small knife from his pocket. 

    Pidge saw the blade a split second too late, and before she could get completely out of the way, it plunged into her left shoulder. The Firebender let go of the handle, and Pidge looked down at the blade that jutted out of her shoulder. Because she had moved, it was nowhere near her heart, which was fortunate. 

    Pidge pulled the bloody blades handle, cringing in pain as the edges cut into her flesh a little on its way out. She looked at the surprised Firebender, and she threw the knife, hitting him square in the stomach. He doubled back in pain, and one of his friends run at Pidge for revenge. His fist swung at her head, its impact to her cheek making her stumble. 

   Pidge stood straight up again, spitting out some blood from her mouth as she kicked the man in the groin. He crumpled the ground in pain, and Pidge grabbed his head and cracked it over her knee, knocking the fellow out. The next guy came from behind her, his footsteps thumping as he made his attack. Pidge hear and side stepped, sticking her leg out to trip him. The Firebender tripped and slide across the ice, his head hitting a nearby overhang of ice, and he went down.

    The others had knocked out 5 to 7 others, causing the rest to flee. The others defensive positions dropped, and they all looked at one another.

    "You came late to the party. Enjoy your beauty sleep?" Lance teased Pidge. Pidge looked at him, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth. She spit the blood out of her mouth, and her vision blurred just a little bit. She didn't answer Lance, all of her focused and energy going into her staying upright.

    Shiro dropped to his knees, his arm practically cut off. Hunk fainted from lose of blood and exhaustion. Allura helped Shiro up and she walked him to the healer. Lance, (with the help of a few other men from the village, but he'll never admit that), drug Hunk to the healers as well. 

    Keith stepped over the bodies and almost walked passed Pidge when he saw she hadn't moved a muscle.

   "You coming?" Keith asked. Pidge kept looking straight ahead of her, her conscience fading fast. She dropped to her knees, cringing at the impact. Keith rushed over and caught her head before it hit the ice as she lost conscience with a finally bang. 

    Keith Picked her up and took her to the village. Allura and Lance walked out of the healers tent and saw Keith carrying Pidge.

     "Oh my gosh. What happened!?" Allura said exasperatedly. 

     "Same thing that happened to the others, duh," Keith replied sarcastically. Allura gave him one of those looks and looked back at the tent.

      "Both of the healers are busy with the other two."

      "Don't worry, I have gotten in enough fights, I can fix her up if I get supplies." Keith said. Allura nodded and ran back into the tent, emerging with a basket of supplies. Allura led Keith to Pidge's room, where they laid her down on her mat,(they have mats not beds). "Allura I got this, you can tend to the others."

      "You sure? I mean she is a girl...."

      "All I need is to take the sweater off, I'm not a pervert you know."

     "I know, I know, I guess I'll go help the healers." Allura said, walking down stairs and out of the snow tower Pidge and her mother called home. Keith carefully took her sweatshirt off and started to clean her wound. 

    Keith made sure she was out completely before he started to sow her up, but even in her sleep she flinched. Keith had sown Shiro and Hunk up so many times, but for some reason doing it on a girl felt different. It felt like there was more of a threat, a deadline. Keith finally finished stitching Pidge's shoulder when her noticed a strip of blue for the first time. It started at the top of her left shoulder and twirled its way down to her wrist, where on the back of her hand, an arrow head formed. 

   At first Keith thought it was just paint or something of that sort, but then he realized where he had seen a marking like this before. In the histories, every Airbender had a blue arrow somewhere on themselves. That is why she hates the Firebenders. She is an Airbender, the last Airbender. Keith's jaw dropped as he figured the whole thing out. He then put together why she wanted to keep it a secret, because the town would overreact. He quickly wrapped the rest of her arm with the bandages, to make sure her secret was safe.

    Pidge shivered in her sleep, and Keith placed a hand over her, using his Firebending to warm up his skin like a heater. While he need fire to actually Firebend, he could warm himself up.

    Pidge moved in her sleep, and she lazily grabbed Keith's wrist. He smiled down at her, his smile turning to shock as she pulled him down on the mat with her. Pidge embraced him in a big hug, nuzzling into his chest. Keith wasn't quite sure what to do, as he was never big on girls, so in the end he just fell asleep with his hands wrapped around her. He tightened his grip on her as is his dreams visions of the Airbender downfall played in his mind. 

    I've got you. I've got you Pidge, and I will not let you meet the same fate. Not now. Not ever.