Chapter 2: Miscommunication

Pidge and Keith got into their lions and started the long journey to the planet. 

"So what are we doing?" Keith asked after a moment of awkward silence.

"Did you not read the mission description?" Pidge asked.

"What's that?"

"I'll take that as a no. Well, the princess of the planet we are going to is getting married to the prince of another planet. We are to be her escort and in return, both planets will join the coalition," Pidge said.

"So why did you learn their language and dress differently," Keith asked.

"Oh, you noticed that. Well, it was mostly to prove Lance wrong, but no one except you noticed it so... I guess so that it is just so that I can communicate better?" Pidge said.

"Sure," Keith said. Then they fell silent. The talking ended. Keith let his lion drive and kept on the course but Keith let go of the controls. He fidgeted with his hands in the awkward silence. They finally landed on the planet, and the princess climbed aboard the Green lion.

The Princess blabbed on and on. " Kwaye njengokuba utata wayengafuni ukunyamekela konke! Kwakunjengokuba andithandi into okanye into! Andiyidanga nangona isikhulu sifana neshushu. Njengoko usetshenziswe ngomlilo kwi-volcano uhlobo olushushu. Kananjalo unesithintelo kum kwaye sifana nokungena. Ngokunjalo andinakuthanda ukulinda ukuze ndifike khona!Kwaye njengokuba utata wayengafuni ukunyamekela konke! Kwakunjengokuba andithandi into okanye into! Andiyidanga nangona isikhulu sifana neshushu. Njengoko usetshenziswe ngomlilo kwi-volcano uhlobo olushushu. Kananjalo unesithintelo kum kwaye sifana nokungena. Ngokunjalo andinakuthanda ukulinda ukuze ndifike khona!" (This is in another language.) Keith and Pidge stay silent.

"Ngokunjalo, ucinga ukuba uya kundithanda?" The princess asked Pidge. Pidge smiled, coming out of a daydream and she nodded. 

"Ngokuqinisekileyo uya Ndiyathetha ukubheka kuwe!" Pidge said. (Sorry about the other language it is Xhosa, google translate will put it into English or another language.) 

"Pidge, we are coming up on the planet," Keith said.

"Thank you," Pidge said softly. This bothered Keith for the rest of the flight. She had said it in a soft voice which was unlike Pidge. But it was the way she had said it as if she was thanking him for something more than the location.

They dropped of the princess who was overjoyed. Pidge softly smiled at the princess and waved as she left, hand in hand with her prince. Her smile fell into sadness and her hand dropped. Keith was about to say something but Pidge just walked into her lion.

Keith and Pidge began the long journey home, but Keith was still very confused.

"Pidge? Are you okay?" Keith asked.

"Yeah," Pidge said gently, "Why?"

"One, you're talking softer and gentler. Two, you learn an entire language and dress up for an hour of communication. Three you had a sad, nostalgic smile as you waved goodbye, but then as soon as she was out of sight you turned cold. What is wrong,"

"I....it was nothing. I am fine,"

"You are not fine. Don't lie to me,"

"I am not lying. Fine is a word that can be used on a whole spectrum of topics. For example, I am not physically hurt, so I am fine. My mental state is a-okay so I am fine there,"

"What about emotional," Keith said.

"What?"

"You are fine in the mental sense and physical, so what about emotion. And it is okay not to say fine and or good,"

"I-um,"

"Pidge, it is okay," Keith said. Usually, this is not how he would react. In fact, if it was this way for the others, he would not have noticed it. Pidge, however, was a fighter, she was independent, she did not need anyone else....wait. "Pidge, are you lonely?"

"What? No! Not really. They just reminded me of a childhood dream...that's all,"

"Dream?"

"Well you know, when little girls dream of getting their prince. The dreams that as you get older you realize how stupid they are," Pidge said.

"So you are lonely,"

"Am not!" Pidge said. Keith leaned back in his chair.

"Are too. And I would not. Shiro would be interested to hear that though,"

"Keith Kogane I swear if tell anyone that lie..." Keith laughed. 

"Pidge, I know what a loner looks like. I am one,"

"So now you are the lonely one,"

"Nope. You can't have two loners, just like you can't have two outcasts,"

"Why?"

Both Pidge's and Keith's hearts were beating fast now and they could fell their faces heating up."Because then they aren't alone anymore," 

Sorry that I haven't posted in several weeks. I will try to keep writning more often, so just hold on tight for more I guess.