Chapter 4: The Prince and the Pauper (2k special addition)

It had been a few days since Pidge started training at the Castle of Lions, when a renowned serial killer was brought in to Allura for judgement. Allura had sentenced him to the death, in knowledge that he was only following Galra orders to save his family. 

   The worst part? Allura wanted to make his death public, but guess whom the executioner was. Pidge. Pidge, whom if she had her way, would have put him prison but spared his life. But no matter how hard she begged, Allura stood firm, (not know Pidge would have to kill him).

    "Citizens of Altea. Renown murder Rover has been caught. We are killing him sending a message to the Galra, don't mess with Altea!" Allura said from her balcony when the crowds had gathered. In the center of the crowd was a wooden platform. On the platform was Rover, chained and kneeling. "Now! Send the Galra a message!"

     Pidge walked up the stairs and onto the platform. Tears streamed down her face and her sword dragged behind on the ground. A the sight of the heartbroken girl, the crowds cheers fell silent. Pidge walked to the front of the platform and looked at Allura.

   "Please! Let him live! He was only trying to protect his family! Don't kill him for it!" Pidge pleaded.

   "The traitor must die!" Allura shouted, not recognizing Pidge from this distance. More tears streamed down Pidge's face and she slowly turned towards Rover. Pidge looked at him one last time, then threw down her sword and enveloped him in a hug, crying into his shoulder. The older man hugged back.

     "Don't cry princess. If my death sends a message to the Galra and spares many more lives, than it was worth it." Rover said, Pidge loosened her grip on him and looked him in the eyes. Rover smiled softly, his blue eyes and wrinkles piercing Pidge's heart. Pidge hugged him again and he leaned into her.

    It broke Pidge's heart, but both her and Rover knew what she had to do next. Pidge brought out her small knuckle blade as she hugged him, and quietly slit the back of his neck as he whispered 'do it'. Pidge felt as his last breath blew into her shoulder, and his blood covered her. He became limp in her arms, and Allura nodded happily then walked back into the palace.

    Pidge held Rover tight and didn't let go. She looked into the crowd behind him and locked eyes with a pair of dark blue ones. She looked as Keith stared at her in horror. Even he thinks I am a monster! Pidge felt tears coming and she buried her face in Rover's cold shoulder. 

    The crowd dispersed, people looking at the crying girl in sympathy. A few people were still milling around, all except two boys a ways away, looking at the wooden platform.

    "Keith, you okay?" Shiro asked.

    "I-I didn't expect her to have to do this when we were gone... she is so young. I don't even think the generals listen to her, let alone let her execute someone. H-how could anyone let this happen?!" Keith muttered angrily.

    "I know what you mean. Judging by this snippet of the two girls, I'd say Allura has taken all the power, but is lazy. Pidge is the opposite. Works till she can't, trains  based on the cuts on her arm, but Allura took her power. If Allura hadn't, I know Rover would still be alive." Shiro added.

    "This is going to sound really out of character and out of the blue but..." Keith said, "I really want to run up and cradle that poor girl in my arms...."

     "What!" Shiro laughed. "Oh. I see. You. Have. A---"

     "Shut up!"

     "You didn't deny it."

     "I-I"

      "Come on goofball, let's go talk to Master Coran to see what is happening." Shiro said starting walk away. Keith's eyes lingered on Pidge, then he turned and followed Shiro. Keith's heart beat hard in his chest, and he couldn't help but glance back as the guards took Rover's body away. One of the guards helped Pidge stand up, but she ended up clinging to him, so he gladly gave the small girl a pidgeyback ride to the castle. Keith smiled, then stopped smiling, his face covered in a blush. He came to terms and sighed, his smile returning.

     "Shiro?"

     "Yeah?"

      "Pidge is mine."

      "So you admit it now?"

      "Yeah, but don't tell anyone."

      "Well....I think Lance might want to know. He is the one who keeps trying to hook you up with different girls."

      "Don't you dare." Keith said as Shiro knocked on the Castle of Lion's door.