Chapter 3: "Lost in a cornfield looking for Cryptids" AU

Keith and Pidge made it to the base of the old tractor and at this point, he felt like they were running for their lives. The girl had taken only one step up the tractor when the cry of the wolves sounded. Keith's heart jumped and he swiftly took the girl in his arms and climbed into the tractor, closing the doors behind him. 

It was a one-seat tractor, and Keith wondered in his mind how they both fit into it. Then he looked into his lap to see the girl in his arms, like a confused cat in the arms of a 3-year-old. Keith let her sit up, blushing and stuttering an apology. 

She was still in his lap, her head resting on his shoulder. The night went silent and all Keith could hear were the girls steady breathing and his own heart beating. "Pidge," the girl breathed. "My name is Pidge,"

"Keith," Keith responded. "I'm sorry that I have been a bit blunt. When things didn't turn out the way I thought, plus the wolves, I got spooked. Sort of got protective, I guess..." The girl smiled and Keith felt a tug in his chest.

"That's okay. I really scared too!" Pidge said. "I thought that I would catch the aliens and be home before morning so I didn't tell my family," Pidge's smiled faded. "I am not weak though..."

"...I never said you were. Or meant to imply it. I just couldn't let you go for some reason. It happens when I get nervous, I just kind of go into a protective mode," Keith said. The wolves howled once more, this time closer. Pidge's eyes went wide.

"We must prepare," Pidge said. She slipped off Keith's lap, much to his dismay, and sat next to him. "The Wolves must have caught our scent, they do not like humans but...we aren't adults. We load the guns, and I did bring one thing," Pidge said. she slipped on her backpack and she crawled out the window and onto the roof. Keith looked out the window in worry.

"P-pidge!" Keith said climbing onto the roof as well. Pidge had a homemade beacon. "Don't leave me like that! I-mean...nevermind..."

"Keith...I am right here," Pidge said, messing up his hair. Keith leaned into it, unusually happy about such a thing. "I am not going anywhere," She began to tinker again and the beacon was lit, spilling its light into the night sky. "Now let's go back inside and get our guns at the ready," Keith nodded and they went inside, loaded the guns and pointed them out either window.

They sat tight in each other's embrace to escape the knives of night cool wind.