Chapter 3: A Hot Mess

It took Keith and Kosmo hours to find the kids that had run off. They stopped and hide when they saw light up ahead. Keith looked at the source. 

It was a small circle of houses, actually quite nice for the materials out here. Christmas lights were hung above the circle, plugged into some magic source. in the center of the small town was a campfire, and people dancing around it, having fun.

As Keith looked he saw that the people were quite beautiful, but they had flaws that the world didn't accept. Things like paralyzed portions of the face, deafness, couldn't walk, acne, or just not good enough. They were the outcasts. He didn't come out as to not scare them off and to make sure that Pidge was there. He waited another hour until everything had calmed down and everyone was sitting logs around the fire. Everything was quiet.

"You know, you guys are prettier than those idiots in the city," Pidge said. Keith looked at her new get-up and her eyes that weren't behind glasses and blushed. "And I mean this truly. They think that beauty is how you look, but that is wrong. Your flaws are beautiful, your hearts are beautiful. I wish you could escape this planet and find a place where that doesn't matter. You are all perfect," Pidge said. Kosmo saw his friend, (Pidge), and he poofed next to her. The village gasped. "No, no! It's okay! I know him," Keith mentally facepalmed. Pidge pet Kosmo and some of the kids did too, "Hey buddy, how did you find me huh? Keith come out, I know you are here,"

Keith came out of hiding and scratched his head. "Hey?"

"What are you doing here? Are you supposed to be with the queen?" Pidge asked. Kosmo was loving all the kids' attention.

"Well, we finished talking and I didn't see you at all so I asked if I could slip out and went to find you," Keith said. Pidge smiled and scooted over on the log, patting the seat next to her. People started chatting and some went to bed.

"Keith, Pidge, we're leaving come on back," Shiro said from the earpieces, the communication devices. 

"Bye guys!" Pidge said waving. They said goodbye and Kosmo took them to Keith's room, for some reason.

"We're on," Keith said and Allura flew the ship.

"Well, I better go," Pidge said, but she stopped when Keith grabbed her arm. "Keith?"

"Why weren't you at the ball?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why weren't you at the ball?" Keith said again.

"Isn't it obvious? I didn't pass the test. I wasn't pretty enough," Pidge said, she was turned toward him and he had let go. She locked eyes with Keith and Keith cupped her cheek.

"For all your talk of not being pretty enough," Keith paused. "Your eyes are more beautiful than the queen's. And your mind is far above hers," Keith slowly leaned in, his eyes closing gradually. Pidge looked at him for a second, then did the same.

Their lips gently touched. It wasn't what would be considered a kiss it was so light, but that was all they needed. A touch, a trace, an inkling of love.