Chapter 2: The Punk and the Nerd

Katie took it back. Her second class was definitely worst. This time the desks were in groups of 4, and she sat next to Keith again. Across from Keith was Lance and across from her was an African American girl with flowing black hair.

    "My name is Allura. What are yours." The girl asked.

    "I am Lance," Lance said, flipping his hair to impress her. Allura ignored the gesture and looked at Keith and Katie.

    "I am Pidge," Katie said. Keith said nothing, he just stared at the front of the room.

     "His name is Keith," Lance said. 

      "Ahem. Will please looked up here," The teacher asked after the bell rang. "I am Ezor, and I am going to be your English teacher. Today you are going to take a pre-quiz, then get to know your group. I've heard it is the same as your math teacher did. When you are done, turn the test into the basket in the front of the room and come to my desk and state your name."

    The students nodded, and Ezor handed out the tests. Again, Katie had studied for this all summer, so she finished the test very quickly. She stood up and turned the test into the basket, kids looking at her in disbelief.

    Katie walked over to Ezor's desk and waited for the teacher to look up form the computer.

    "Done already. Did you take your time?" Ezor asked.

    "I took all the time I needed Ma'am," Katie said. Ezor laughed at the comment.

    "You and I are going to get along well. As long as you did the best you could. Now, what is your name." Ezor asked.

     "Pidge Gunderson," Katie said. Ezor wrote it down and looked back up.

      "Okay Pidge, do you have something to work on?" Ezor asked. Did she? Of course, she had been preparing for this. 

      "I have a copy of Shakespeares 'Macbeth' that I am reading, Ma'am," Pidge said. 

      "I am impressed. Shakespeare is a wonderful choice, you may read that while the rest of the class finishes up," Ezor.

      Pidge walked back to her desk, more students turning their tests in now. She took Macbeth out from her binder and opened it to the first page, Fair is foul, and foul is fair: Hover through the fog and filthy air. 

      After about 5 more minutes, Katie looked up from her book to see that her group members were all looking at her.

    "So, are we going to 'bond' or not?" Keith asked sarcastically.

    "I don't know, are we?" Lance bluntly replied.

    "Are you mocking me?" Keith asked.

     "I don't know am I?" Lance replied.

     "This is going happen all year, isn't it," Allura asked Katie.

       "Pretty much yeah," Katie replied. Lance and Keith argued. Katie bore through the arguing all of second period. The third period science, was one of the best so far, although Katie sat next to Keith yet again. 

       Katie was very relieved when the bell rang signaling for them to go to lunch. She sat in the far corner away from anyone and everyone.