Chapter 1: Alternate Ending to 'Taking Flight'

"I can't tell if he looks healthy or not." Hunk said.

      "I think he's breathing weird." Pidge said.

     "Oh, come on!" Keith said impatiently.

      "Not yet! A few more ticks." Allura scolded.

     "How much better do you think he's gonna get in a few more ticks?"

     "And what exactly is a tick?" Pidge asked.

    "You know, a time slice." Allura answered

     "Like a second?" Shiro asked

    "What is a "second"?" Allura asked.

     "Like this." Pidge said, and her clock started beeping.

    "I'm not sure. I think ticks are bigger. Coran, do you have a ticker?" A;lura asked.

     "Right here, Princess." Coran said and his ticker started beeping.

     "I think ticks are a little slower." Hunk said.

     "I can't tell. We have to start them at the same time." Pidge said.

     "Okay. Ready, go!" Coran said and both clock started beeping.

        "Yes! I think we're winning." Hunk said.

      "Winning what?" Keith said. In the background the cryo-pod opens.  "The intergalactic time-measuring competition?"

       "Yes."

    "You guys having a time party?" Lance asked lazily.

     "Aw, Lance, you just ruined it. Hey, Lance!" Hunk said hugging Lance.

      "What happened?" Lance asked.

      "We can tell you all about it while you get something to eat. Are you able to walk?" Allura said.

       "Talking? Eating? Are you asking me out on a date?" Lance flirted

       "Yep, he's okay." Shiro said.

        "Classic Lance." Keith said.

          "Yep, there he is." Pidge said. Then they  explained what happened. (TIme skip)

         "He'd be Sendak's prisoner right now, if not for Pidge." Allura said

          "Well, you wouldn't have survived the explosion if Hunk and Coran hadn't gotten a new crystal." Pidge said.

      "Wow. Thanks, everybody. Sounds like the mice did more than you, though." Lance said pointing to Keith.

      "I punched Sendak!"

       "Yeah, apparently after I emerged from a coma and shot his arm off."

       "We had a bonding moment. I cradled you in my arms!"

        "Nope. Don't remember, didn't happen. So, Allura what happened to Sendak?"

        "He's frozen in a cryo-pod. We're keeping him here in the Castle."

         "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

       "He's too dangerous to be set free. Besides, we might be able to get some information about Zarkon from him."

       "So, what's the plan now?"

       "We have to get back to the Balmera and save Shay and her people." Hunk said.

        "Wow! You are really hung up on this lady."

          "No, it's not like that. Look, guys, when you see how Zarkon has treated these people and destroyed their home... they've been under his thumb for so long, they don't know what it is to be free. It's up to us to set this right. This is what being a paladin of Voltron is all about. It's time to man up."

        "Then let's get moving. Time to go defend the universe." Shiro said.

         "Wait, I have something to say first. I need to come clean. And I'm afraid this may change the way you all think about me. Just so there are no secrets between us anymore, I can't "man up." I'm a girl. I-I mean, I can "man up" because that's just a figure of speech. I don't have to actually be a man to "man up." I just have to be tough. But what I'm saying -"

        "W-W-Wha...?! You're a girl?! How?!" Lance asked.

         "I've known for some time, but I'm glad you've shared it with everyone." Allura said.

        "Yeah, I figured." Hunk said

         "Wait, we were supposed to think you were a boy?" Coran said.

        "Pidge, owning who you are is going to make you a better paladin." Shiro said.

         "Excuse me!" Keith said in anger and shock. "I questioned my sexuality several time because of you!" Everyone fell silent and watched as Keith stomped off to his lion.\

      "I'll deal with that after we save Shay..." Pidge said.