Chapter 1: The Prince and the Pauper

"Attention citizens of Altea. We have chosen two of you, to trade place with prince Shiro and Keith. Let the Switch began." The queen said. She had pale lilac skin, green eyes, and waves of silky white hair. She walked back into the castle. The Switch was an event that happened every generation, where the princes or princesses, switched with one of the commonwealth. It helped them minister and relate to the people, and it was that time again.

     The queen walked to her chambers were the chosen two sat in wait, her maids cleaning them up. The queen opened the door, and saw the smallest of the two girls sitting on the bed. The queen smiled, then quietly shut the door behind herself.

     The young girl looked a lot better, her hair and person washed, and in one of the queens old dresses. The dress was white and a grass green, and with the girls vibrant eyes, it tied the whole look together. The girl looked up in surprize at the queen, immediately jumping up and curtseying.

    "Please rise," The queens soft voice asked. The girl rose, and looked at the queen with admiration. Suddenly the bathroom door opened and as the orangey light temporarily blinded the queen and the small girl, happy laughter filled the room.

    The queen and the small girl watched as the other girl chosen, who was a few years older, danced out of the bathroom, and beautiful dress on her. The queen smiled, and the older girl twirling in her new dress.

    "You both look beautiful. What are your names." The queen asked. The older girl skipped over to the small girl in front of the queen.

    "My name is Allura," the older girl said. Allura's hand rested on the small girls shoulder, as the two had been each other's only friend. 

    "My name is Katie, but you can call me Pidge." the small girl said.

    "Pidge?" One of the ladies in waiting asked.

    "It is a nickname my older brother used to call me, well, before he got apprenticed and had to leave." Pidge said coyly.

     "Well I for one love that name, Pidge." The queen said, "It is great to meet you two. Well we better go, the princes want to meet the girls who they are trading places with." 

     The queen giggled, the girls joining in as well. The queen lead them out of the room, and into the throne room. The room was huge, a roof that felt like it reached the sky, and grand white marble pillars decorating the walls. Tapestries hung from the walls, the embroidery weaving magical scenes. On the other side of the room, two boys stood in ragged clothing. The queen ushered the girls forward to met the boys, but her herself staying back, mentioning the princes wanted to talk the girls in private to share tips both ways.

    Allura and Pidge walked forward to the two boys, Allura stood like an actual princess, but Pidge was wary and shy. The girls met the boys and their servant walked the four to a living room type area, with a couch and a small kitchen. In the kitchen were two other boys, whom the girls recognized as the princes only friends, Hunk and Lance. 

     "These are the girls I am guessing." Lance said as he walked over to the couch and sat down next to Shiro.

     "So, what are your names? What are some survival tips you have from living out in the real world? Where are they going? Wait, who is replacing whom?" Hunk fired as he walked over and sat by Pidge.

     "Whoa, calm down there Hunk. They are probably really confused." Shiro said, his hands out in front of him as he tried to slow down his friend.

      "Oh, it is perfectly fine your highness." Pidge said softly. Shiro looked at her, smiled then put his hands back on his lap. 

     "My name is Allura. I am switching with Prince Shiro, he will be going to the blacksmith, and I have all lot of tips." Allura answered, hitting everyone of Hunk's questions.

     "And you are?" Keith asked Pidge.

     "This is Pidge." Allura said.

     "I can answer for myself Allura." Pidge muttered.

     "Says the one who stuttered when Matt found you talking to Kaltenecker." Allura whispered back.

     "That was one time!" Pidge said. The boys looked at the two girls in confusion. They ignored the weird conversation the two had and the boys moved on to other questions.

    "So I am guessing you are switching with Keith, Pidge. Do you know where he is going?" Lance asked. Pidge looked up and a small blush spread across her face.

    "I-I know but..." Pidge said, looking away, "it is not really a place."

    "What are you talking about?" Hunk asked, "Wait, do you mean, oh..." Hunk looked down at his feet, getting what Pidge meant.

    "What? I still don't get it." Lance asked in confusion. 

     "Keith is switching with a nomad. A wanderer. A--" Hunk explained.

     "---We get the point Hunk." Shiro interrupted. He looked at Pidge who gave him an innocent look, trying to throw off her the idea of her being sad. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, the other not really noticing. 

     "Well we should probably tell you what you are getting yourselves into." Shiro said. "Pidge, since you are switching with Keith, you will be assume Allura's right hand. All prisoners, and crimes will divert to you. You are the general basically. Allura, you are the queen in training, so you will have to be able to make hard decisions. Good luck, you are going to need it."

    "Pssh. This is going to be a walk in the park compared to what you guys have to deal with." Allura said, closing her eyes and leaning back in confidence. 

    "You think you have it worse than us?" Shiro asked in disbelief.

     "Think?! I know. Do you see what you already have to wear?" Allura said, she sat up and her and Shiro glared at each other.

    "Ten GAC says royalty is harder." Shiro challenged her.

    "Twenty say it isn't." Allura fired back.

    "Deal." Shiro said. The two stood up and parted in different directions, ready to start the challenge. Hunk and Lance left to deal with other matters around the palace, leaving Pidge and Keith alone. 

    The two sat in silence awkwardly, not a word uttered. Keith looked at the small girl, who was looking at her feet, and she raised her head. The two locked eyes, and for some reason, they couldn't look away. 

    Keith was getting lost in her amber eyes when he heard someone calling. "Keith! Come on!" Shiro yelled. Keith stood up and walked away, not really knowing what just happened. Lance was the player, Shiro was the 'prince charming'. And Hunk, well, Hunk had his girlfriend. But Keith? He was the loner. No one could get his attention. No one could ever win his heart. 

    So why couldn't he shake those jewel amber eyes from his mind?