Chapter 2: The Prince and the Pauper

Pidge woke up the next morning in a strange place, in strange clothing, and she did not like it. It took her a second to realize this was the Switch, not some weird kidnapping or something. Pidge sat up and blinked away the early dawn light coming from her window.

     Pidge swung her legs over the side of the bed and properly woke up. Standing up she noticed a folded uniform on the desk of her room, with a note on the top. She walked over to the desk and picked up the small slip of paper. It read: 

     Your uniform. You will need to learn to fight, in case something happens. Lance and Hunk will be in the throne room  to  train you and Allura. The war room is on the 4 floor, you should head there, meet the generals, because well, we are still fighting the Galra.

                                                                                                             -------------- The Queen

     Pidge put on the uniform. It wasn't required as she was royalty now and could wear what she wanted, but she did anyway. Pidge looked in the mirror, and looked at her reflection. Short dark green skirt with shorts underneath, a white blouse, combat boots, and a dark green military cap. Pidge rolled up the blouse sleeves up to her elbows, laced up her boots, and placed the cap on her head. 

     Pidge walked over to the foot of the bed where her small bag was, holding the few possessions she actually owned. She dug into her bag and pulled out her only weapon, brass knuckles with a knife shaped like an arrow, (her bayard on a smaller and realistic scale), and she put it on.

     Pidge walked out of her room with her head high, feeling dangerous. She knew Allura wasn't going to take this as serious as she should, so Pidge was going to make up for Allura's slack. Pidge opened the doors to the war room with confidence, and as the generals looked up from the table, she walked over to them. She put her hands on the table and looked at the army positions, trying to look like she knew what she was doing.

     "What is the status." Pidge asked with a little force in her voice. The general's glanced at each other, then realized who she was.

     "Oh, so you switched with Prince Keith. I didn't know they let children in. Maybe you should go in the corner and let the big boys deal with the war!" A general said rudely. His voice was on the brink of making a joke, and disgust. The generals laughed mockingly.

    Pidge had grown up doing random jobs, and one of the one she did the most was work at a bar. She knew how these types of men worked. You had to demand respect. Pidge slammed her fist on the table, and immediately the generals stopped laughing.

     "I said, what is the status." She order snarkily.

      "And whom do you think you are?!" That same general ordered. Pidge glowered at the table, secretly desperate for a plan. 

      "I am not an innocent child if that's what you are asking!" Pidge snapped, giving him an angry look, she pointed at him with her weapon, walking towards him "I have seen too much to be innocent. I have been in the midst of a battle. I have seen the Galra rip people to shreds. I have had the innocent blood of another dried upon my skin. I have lost my own brother  to the cruelty of the Galra! So next time you decide to disrespect someone based on their outside appearance, I suggest you hold your tongue and actually find out more!" Pidge had made him back up several steps, his eyes locked on her sharp blade.

       She walked back over to the table, and again looked down at the scenario. The room had fallen silent, but inside Pidge was screaming in joy. All of that had been true, but she wasn't sure how scary she could act. The general's stood flabbergasted. The one that had backed up slowly walked up to the table again. 

     "Now, as I said before, what is the status." Pidge said. The room was silent for a few more seconds, then the generals began to explain the Altean position.