Chapter 1: What If? (Angst Warning)

So in this story, Pidge and Keith had already been dating when Keith, Lance, Hunk, Matt, and Shiro had to go back up into space. No one knows why Pidge wasn't called up, but her brother Matt was taking the Green lion for this long long mission. Pidge found out days later that she was pregnant...this is a long 14 years later when young Mirko, Pidge's son, and she are testing their tech at the Garrison and they finally returned.

Mirko loved his mom. He was one of the most emo kids around, the black hoodie, circles under his eyes, even the dark purple highlights on his brown hair to match his eyes. (Yes, I am describing Virgil from Sander Sides. Look it up, it seemed accurate and because yes.) 

And yet despite all of that, he loved his mom. There was no part of her that he didn't like. Sure he got mad at her, sure she could be annoying, but she was trying her hardest.

A single teen mom, whom of which was excluded from a mission she had a right to be on. He loved her. She actually understood him because the age gap was scarily close. He felt like he could open up to her. She taught him how to code and build and invent. He was a grade ahead because of her, and he loved her dorky personality.

He loved how unlike most single parents she wasn't afraid to talk about his dad. She would tell him the coolest stories and they went on great adventures looking for cryptids. She was more like a best friend than a mom really, and Mirko was perfectly fine with that. 

"Hey, Mirko. We could take the hoverboards for a spin around the Garrison since we just finished them!" Pidge said. Mirko nodded. "Don't forget your helmet, they might come in handy if we run into Mothman,"

"Mom," Mirko jokingly rolled his eyes putting his helmet on as they both got on the hoverboards.

"I'm just saying. The Garrison would be the perfect hiding spot," PIdge shrugged. There was one other thing Mirko loved about his mom beside how nerdy-geeky-dorky she was. It was the fact that even though she had not seen Keith for a grueling 14 years, the light in her eyes never left. She always hoped and even if she didn't she made the most of her time."Now let's get these babies up to speed," Pidge smirked. 

They rode at a speed of about 80 mph, around the Garrison property and then Pidge smirked and pointed to an open door to the Garrison halls. Mirko copied her mischievous smiled and they veered inside. Students frantically got out of the way and the two could hear people shouting in protest.

They just laughed off the haters.

They burst out of the building, going to the rocket launch site. There was no rocket but the large place of cement was fun to ride on. Pidge thought she saw the lions on a hill on in the distance, but she ignored it. 

They saw commander Iverson talking to some people and Mirko followed his mom's lead as she jumped over them.

"HOLT AND HOLT YOU GET BACK HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" Commander Iverson shouted. Pidge sighed. The gig was up. She got there first and stopped in front of Iverson taking off her helmet. She looked at the other people and her heart dropped. She knew these people.

"Mom! Wait up!" Mirko said running beside her. He looked at the people then back at his mom. Her knees buckled and Mirko helped her stay standing. "Mom! Mom are you okay?"

"Mom?!" the tan one said. Mirko looked at the people and he saw one with all white hair. He knew exactly who it was.

"MOTH MAN! MOM, YOU WERE RIGHT! QUICK PUT ON THE HELMETS SO HE CAN'T HACK OUR BRAINS!"Mirko burst, putting both their helmets back on. He looked at his mom

"Katie! You have some explaining!" One with a ponytail said. He looked oddly familiar.

"Matt!" Mirko said finding the name at the tip of his tongue. "Uncle Matt! You have that picture on the fridge of when you were younger, right mom?!" Pidge nodded.

"Uncle? I'm an uncle?! Iverson what is happening?!" Matt said.

"As you full well know this is Katie 'Pidge' Holt, the best engineer in the world now. And this is her son Mirko Kogane Holt, the best flight and engineer cadet we have," Mirko was worried about his mom, she kept looking at one with a black suit and the mullet. He stepped forward and smirked.

"Kogane huh?" He said.

"Hey! It is my father's name and I like it!" Mirko argued.

"It is a fine middle name," He said. A few of the guys exchanged glances. He looked at Pidge then chuckled. "Here, let me take her," He picked her up bridal style. She started blushing and muttering. 

"Mom? Mom are you okay? You never act like this," Mirko said. "I'm worried,"

"Your mother will be fine," the man said looking down at her. He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"HEY! That's my mom!" Mirko said. The man smiled.

"Oh. I forgot to introduce myself. I am Keith. Keith Kogane," Keith said.

"K-Keith K-Kogane...D-dad?" Mirko choked.

"Apparently I have a son!" Keith chuckled. Pidge finally got over her shock and worm her way so that she was bear hugging Keith.

"Keith!" she cried into his shoulder. Keith hugged her. He let go with one arm and opened it up welcoming Mirko. Mirko ran to him a hugged him. 

"My goodness," Lance said. "You come back to an actual family! And you are not even married! She must have had him just after you left!"

"I have a family!" Keith said. "I have a family!"

"Dad has come home at last," Pidge said.