Chapter 1: Voltron on Ice

"You don't think I know that Shiro!" Keith said to Shiro as the two walked into the locker room to get ready to start practice on the ice.

      "Keith..." Shiro said.

      "Of course I want to enter! But I'm not going to partner up with just anyone!"

      "I know, I know. But come on you can't be picky you---"

        "Yes I can afford to be picky! These are the nationals we're talking about! Not just anyone will do!"

        "I know that not anyone will do, I'm am not saying that we dig up a robeast and stick him in ice skates,but  aren't you worried the cut off for registration is next week?"

         "I know the deadline is next week! Of course I am worried!" Keith said as he got into uniform and started to lace up his shoes.

         "Worried? You are worried now? If you were really worried, you wouldn't have turned down all 14 of those Galra skaters I auditioned for you to try for your partner."

         "Shiro! Listen! Look, I know no one will be able to replace Lance...but I am not looking for another Lance." Keith said softly, the two walking out onto the ice. They started to warm up by doing a few laps. 

         "I know..."

         "I need someone better, someone who really knows what their doing. Someone who experiences ice skating as more than just a sport, I need..."

         "Okay, I get it. I just--you are our best skater. I want you to be able to go. The ice is your life it is what you are good at. I would hate for you to miss it." Shiro said as they lapped the empty rink, it was a public rink however. The boys floated across the ice, their chatter quieting as they heard laughter of the hobbyists come through the door. 

      (Time skip to an hour later, where the boys are practicing more footwork, and about 12-18 people are in the rink.)

       "SHIRO! KEITH!" A new coming called from the entrance to the rink. Shiro and Keith looked over to see Matt skating over to them, along with Coach Coran, and Matt's dad the old Coach. 

       "Matt! Coach Holt! What are you doing here?" Shiro asked hugging them both. 

       "I may be retired Shiro," Coach Holt said, "But I can't stay off the ice for long. Besides my daughter probably would never see the sun if I didn't drag her out of the house."

       Shiro looked over at the entrance to see a young girl, about 14, wearing Mrs. Holt old green uniform, and she was putting her earbuds in, she played the song above on repeat in her ears..  She slid out onto the ice with a surprising amount of skill. She did a few laps, then started to do turns and professional move to the song she was listening to.

      Her eyes were closed some of the time and she was smiling skating to beat. 

      "PIDGEON! COME HERE!" Matt called. The girl looked up a quickly skated over to him, grabbing his arms and spinning him around. She skated backwards away from him and back to the center, where she started to dance again. Shiro started to talk to Coach Holt about getting her on the team, and Keith just stared at her.

      "Has she ever danced with a partner?" Keith asked.

       "No, maybe we should go teach her." Matt suggested. The boys smiled and took off towards Pidge.