The Rain, the Gala and Other Things

Arizona's POV:

Saturday morning was a bit rough to wake up to, given all the wine I had consumed the night before. I was dealing with hangover symptoms I hadn't experienced in some time. Thankfully, my stomach wasn't upset, but my head was pounding and I was moving slow.

So, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when Callie told me what I had done and said while in my intoxicated stupor, the night before. I knew what I felt and thought about Callie, I guess I was just shocked that's how my brain decided to confess my love to her.

In the end I figured, it was a good way to tell her. I know I never would have done or said a fourth of things I did to Callie, unless my judgment was impaired. And Callie was right, we weren't getting any younger.  I was fully aware of that fact as well. 

I had been reflecting on my relationship with Renee, pretty heavily for the last month. Even though I loved Renee, the love I had for Callie was different. Callie and I shared an intensity and passion, I had never known with any other woman I had been with. It's as if there is a deep seeded fire between us, that nobody knew about, but we did. I realized in the last month, that flame was only growing in heat and desire, the more time Callie and I spent together.

It always amazed me how either one of us can give the other one a look, and we just knew what the other one was thinking. It's as if we spoke our own language, both verbal and nonverbal. 

Bottom line, we are both so interconnected, I'm still not sure where Callie and I start and stop as relationships go. I've come to realize the last 4 weeks that I need her and she needs me. Neither of us are complete without one another, no matter how hard we'd tried to convince ourselves otherwise, the last few years.

After Callie and I ate breakfast and took a quick nap, we got dressed and headed to pick-up our daughter at Meredith's house. Callie was so attentive to me that morning and very caring. She opened the car door for me and kissed me, as she buckled me in to her passenger's seat. She knew I was moving slow that day, thanks to dehydration issues. She also now knew my true feelings for her, which I think helped too.

As Callie drove us the 8 miles to Meredith's house, she wouldn't take her hand off my residual limb. Instead, she kept lovingly using her right hand to gently caress the top of my leg. After a few minutes into the drive, we hit a stoplight. It was then, Callie looked over and kissed me. As Callie leaned away and looked back towards the road, she said, "I'm madly in love with you, Arizona."

"I'm madly in love with you, Calliope."

All we could do was smile, one of the largest smiles we've both, ever exchanged. We sat that way for the next few minutes, until arriving at Meredith's and picking up Sophia.

"Hey Lovebug, did you you have fun with your friends?" I was buckling our daughter into the backseat. 

"I did, Mama. We played games, watched movies and had ice cream. Zola and I stayed up to 11 o'clock!"

I heard Callie mumble under her breath from the drivers seat, "Someone is going to crash early tonight...," as I could see her arching one eyebrow from her reflection in the rear view mirror.

When we got back to the house, we decided to give Sophia a bath that morning, given how late she'd been up last night. We figured she may fall asleep tonight, before we got her in the tub, or when she was in the tub. After we got Sophia dressed, we decided to get burgers and fries for lunch. Callie and I thought some greasy food might help our hangovers as well.

We went to our usual haunt, Dick's Drive-In, on Queen Anne. It was one of Callie and my favorite places to go and get food from, after drinking. It's nothing fancy, and that's what keeps it a favorite for Seattleites. The nice thing about the Queen Anne location, it was the only location with indoor seating. At the other two locations, you need to sit on a curb, or eat in your car, depending on the weather.