Cause and Effect Part II

Callie's POV:

"Wow, was she out like a light. I don't think Sophia woke at all when I just moved her from our bedroom to her bed. How are you two doing in here?"

I had just carried Sophia from our bed and tucked her into her own bed after Maddy's cries woke Arizona and myself. In the dim illumination from our nightlights, I could see Arizona sitting upright in bed. She was holding Maddy, who must have been busy feeding from the sucking noises I'd hear now and again.

"We're fine, with the exception of the fact my nipples now feel like dog chew toys the last few weeks."

"You're not having any problems with Mastitis, are you?" 

Mastitis, is a painful inflammation of breast tissue that can easily turn into an infection if a breastfeeding mother is not aware or careful about the signs.

"Gosh, no. I definitely know the difference. Maddy just didn't latch well a few times yesterday and I'm paying the price for it this evening."

I gently crawled back into our bed and under the covers so as not to disturb Maddy. I felt Arizona tickle my left leg with her right foot and smile at me. I, of course, couldn't help but smile right back at Arizona as she was feeding Maddy.

"Do you know how gorgeous you are when you're with one of our daughters, Arizona?" Still smiling, she shook her head, no.

"Let me tell you then. Right now, with Maddy, it's too much and I can't even bare to look at you ladies because it's so much cuteness. And what was going on with you and Sophia tonight? I saw you two wiping away each other's tears and felt my heart explode it was so precious."

"She's adapting to Maddy and just having normal sibling relationship pains. Poor girl, she seemed so sad tonight, but she knew she was being egocentric and apologized. And I'm just being a Mom, Callie. There's nothing special about that."

"Well, I disagree with you Arizona, because there is something magical about seeing you in action with our daughters. I fall in love with you a bit more every time I watch you be the amazing Mom you are. For someone that was hesitant to have children, I can't think of anyone more suited than you to be the incredible Mom that you are."

"Okay Callie, what are you trying to get from me? You do realize sex is unfortunately still off the table for a few more weeks, right?"

"Of course I do, and there's nothing I want other than to compliment my wife on being the amazing mother she is to our girls. Okay, and maybe some kissing after Maddy goes back down."

Arizona pretended to swat at me knowing she was no where close to being able to smack me.

"Well, then the feeling is mutual, because I love watching you parent our daughters too, Callie. There isn't anyone else in this world that I would be a parent with, other than you." 

I leaned over and kissed the back of Arizona's free hand that was resting on her lap.

"I know things are hectic right now as we all adapt, but I have been loving all the family time you and I have been soaking up the last few weeks. A huge part of me is thrilled that we have another 6 weeks of us, just being us. No surgeries, no consults, no meetings..."

"Amen to no work! As much as I miss being a surgeon, I'm loving all the bonding time with my girls. We've had such a tough, but also amazing first year back together, Calliope."

To this day, there is something sexy about the way Arizona uses my full name from time to time. Well, provided that she's not using my full name because I'm in trouble.

"It has been an interesting roller coaster between everything, but thank God we're doing it together. I cannot imagine my life without you in it, Arizona, so promise me that you won't go anywhere, okay? Even if I do or say something stupid like I inevitably do from time to time?"