"Double, Double, Toil and Trouble" Part III

Arizona's POV:

My Tuesday went by uneventfully, for a change. I had two procedures, an early morning hernia repair that was scheduled, and an Appendectomy that came through the ER later that morning. Both are pretty common in Peds surgery and thankfully they were both routine.

In between the surgeries, I ended up doing my rounds for the morning, so I could have the rest of my afternoon to play 'catch-up,' from my absences last week. I think I was only in my office for a total of five minutes, when there was a knock on my open office door. 

"Hello, Dr. Robbins. I hope I'm not catching you at a bad time, am I?" It was Charley, the attorney from the malpractice suit. She had a warm smile on her face, as she gazed in my direction from the door jamb.

"No, no, not at all. Please come in and try to ignore how fantastic I must look at the moment. I just took my scrub cap off, so I can only imagine what my hair currently looks like." I was standing in front of a mirror that is near my small wardrobe, when Charley happened to knock. I managed to catch a glimpse of myself as I spoke and noticed my hair looked like I had just been electrocuted by how badly it frizzed after removing the cap.

"I personally think your hairstyle looks fantastic. Do you know how many women would be excited to have volume like yours?" We both laughed at Charley's "compliment," as she walked into my office.

"Looking fabulous after surgeries is an extra perk they don't tell you about until you start your residency rotation." Charley laughed, as I started brushing and pulling back my hair into a presentable ponytail while I talked to her.

"Well, minus the scrub cap hair, I am envious of the fact you get to wear scrubs and tennis shoes all day. Meanwhile, I torture myself with dress shoes, usually heels and suits when I work."

"Wearing scrubs can get old, too. A lot of days I want to get dressed up, but it just depends if I'm seeing patients those days. I've found my higher-end clothing and body fluids from patients are not a good mix."

"Sounds like you and I have opposite apparel problems, Dr. Robbins." I had to smile and agree with Charley.

"By the way, please call me, Arizona. While I appreciate the respect, I'm more comfortable being called by my first name."

"In that case, Arizona, I stopped by to get your input about what you want for dinner tonight while we have our meeting. I was going to order take-out, anything sound good to you?"

"Actually, there is a new bbq place that focuses on Carolina style bbq. The chef that owns the restaurant grew up in North and South Carolina and takes influences from both. If you are a meat eater, it's a suggestion and seems like an apropos choice since we have lived in both states."

"There's a lot of sacrifices I'm willing to make for my health, but giving up pork or red meat is not one of them. That sounds like a great choice Arizona, I haven't had any pulled pork in ages." Charley had a big smile on her face as we conversed about the food. I noticed her green eyes had a glimmer to them when she was excited, just like she was at that moment.

"Well, that was easy! Normally it takes Callie and I forever to land on the same restaurant or cuisine."

"Callie's your wife, is that correct? I thought I overheard Callie mention that to one of our co-counsels last night, but I am probably wrong since it was hard to hear over all the conversations that were going on."

"She is and that's why it's hard for us to agree sometimes. I guess we've both become a bit stubborn and comfortable in regard to our relationship."

"How ever you two make it work, congratulations to you both for making it thus far. In my world, I feel lucky if one of my relationships makes it beyond 6 months."