Family Matters Part II

Callie's POV:

We had just learned from Charley that our malpractice suit had been dropped, when we heard an alarm start sounding from one of the machines Ari was connected to. I knew which sound it was and felt like I couldn't get up from my chair to run across the hall fast enough. The monitor was tracking Ari's blood pressure and had started alerting us that her BP had dropped.

Within a split second, I also realized that Sophia was in the room and I didn't want her to see anything that might traumatize her. And, just like that, my wife steadfastly proved why I'm forever in love with her. Not only do we tend to think alike in most situations, but we have similar mindsets when it comes to Sophia. 

I was the first one in the room, but without even saying anything to Arizona, she was 2 seconds behind me and swooped up Soph. I watched her take Sophia and head towards the waiting room down the hall before seconds later, I started to assess Ari.

Owen rushed in about 10 seconds after me and that's when I encouraged my Father to join Arizona and Sophia in the waiting room. I didn't want my Dad to be traumatized either as Owen and the others started evaluating Aria.

"Torres, I'm fine with you in here, but only to watch, okay?" Owen had already started listening to Ari's chest and abdomen when he spoke.

"Thanks Owen, I will stay out of the way." And I did, but kept a close enough distance that I could still see everyone working on Ari.

Her BP had dropped and I already suspected why. There had been concern all along that Ari might have suffered some internal organ damage from the impact, but nothing significant had shown up on any of her scans. However, I already knew because of her alcoholism that her blood wouldn't clot that easily. 

Sure enough, her labs and scans showed a bleed that was Gastrointestinal and required surgery. She probably had a slow bleed since the accident, but it was small enough it didn't show on the ultrasound and her body had been reabsorbing or eliminating the blood so it was hard to detect.

"Torres!" Owen had already put a plan in motion to take Ari up to an OR, but took a moment to talk with me before he ran behind Ari's gurney.

"Callie, if you or Arizona would like to watch from the observation room, I'm fine with that."

"Thanks Owen, I appreciate your offer, but can you also close the gallery to resident and staff observation? Since this is family, I..." He cut me off before I could finish.

"I understand Callie, family, is family. I'll make sure it's closed to everyone with the exception of you and Arizona." I patted Owen on the back just before he dashed down the hall to catch-up with Ari's gurney.

I stood there for a moment and watched as Owen and the staff, wheeled Ari into an elevator and up to the surgical floor. I was worried about Ari, but I just felt numb after everything that had just happened. 

That's when I felt Arizona gently place her hands on my shoulders and say, "Callie? Is it what I think it is?" Arizona had left Sophia with my father in the waiting room to come check on Ari and myself. 

Her warm touch felt good and made me start to tear up. "She has Gastrointestinal bleeding, they are taking her up to repair it."

"She's not clotting well, is she? Good grief, her alcoholism rears it's ugly head again."

"Yep. Owen closed the observation room to everyone except us." Arizona wrapped her arms around me and held me as close as she could given her stomach bump.

"Do you want me to observe, just you, or both of us, Callie? I am fine with whatever you want." Arizona had pulled away from our hug, put was still holding me by her hands that were on both of my hips.