Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall Part II

Callie's POV:

"Arizona, are you sure you're okay? I know you didn't witness the tires getting slashed, but to walk out and discover that would freak anybody out."

We had just gotten into our other car, but I hadn't started the engine yet. It felt like we needed a moment to breath and process the incident first. All I could do was look at Arizona, but she was doing the same thing to me. I guess it wasn't just me that was at a loss for words at that point.

Finally, after about 5 seconds of communicating with only our eyes, Arizona spoke.

"Are you thinking it's the same person I think it is?" Arizona's brow was raised in a concerned way as she questioned me.

"If you mean that bitch of a mom, Julie Miller, the person that's suing us and thinks the fact that we're gay, married and have a daughter is an abomination, then yes! Who else would do this to us?  And, do you remember what happened after our run-in with her on Halloween? I swear as we were leaving the garage right after, that I saw her hiding in one corner. It was too dark to be 100% sure, but I'm sure it was her."

"I think so too, Callie. The amount of rage she has for us regarding the death of her son, Kyle, was already astounding. Then, when she found out about our personal lives, that was like adding gasoline to a burning tire fire. Her rage was never going to 'extinguish itself' or go away to begin with, but finding out were married easily must have doubled her fire/rage."

"In other words, it made an already bad situation much, much, worse."

"In a nutshell Callie, you hit the nail on the head. Also, did you overhear what the cop said to me about the knife the perpetrator used?"

"No. I must have been dealing with the tow truck driver and cleaning out the car at that point. What did he say and should I be concerned?"

"Well... The cop said the blade that was used was serrated."

"So? Why does that matter?"

"He said most people who slash tires use a screwdriver or a pocket knife. It's unusual the blade was serrated and more than likely was a kitchen knife or maybe a survival knife. He could tell the blade type by examining the jagged-edged cuts on the tires. He said whomever it was, probably wanted to make large cuts and do it quickly, thus the serrated blade."

"So, it was premeditated in other words, and not random. Well, isn't that just a kick in the teeth?" I couldn't help it and let out a huge sigh after voicing my realization to Arizona. It scared me this person knew enough to know what our car looked like and where it was that morning. 

It was a vacation day for us both, so the car shouldn't have been at the hospital to begin with. Lord knows what else they knew about us too? Where we lived? Sophia's school? The list of possibilities started making my heart rate accelerate out of fear and panic.

"Callie, we really do need to be careful till this gets figured out, in fact, do you think it's still safe to go out with your Father today?"

"Do I think it's safe to go out, ever? No. Given this situation though, I think we just need to watch our backs very closely and be smart about our surroundings at all times."

"I agree Callie, and want to make sure we are doing everything we can to protect Sophia right now."

"We both sound like we are on the same page, Arizona. Still, this honestly wigs me out knowing that someone is out there targeting us and we have no clue who it is."

"In that case Callie, you probably won't be relieved to hear I have the same worries you do. Who ever this is knows us and must have followed me this morning. I talked to the detective about it and he said he'd alert the department about the potential threat. There's nothing more they can do though, unless something happens."