Those Hot Summer Nights Part II

Callie's POV:

In the process of attending the softball game and having ice cream with our families afterward, we already had plans to have dinner with Ari and Renee at my sister's condo that night. As well, the Colonel and Barbara offered to have Sophia come spend the night. So, Arizona and I were going to have a free afternoon that day in order to start packing for our upcoming trip to the mountain.

We weren't leaving for another 5 days, but Arizona and I are both planners, especially Arizona. She had already made a list of individual items we'd each need, as well as miscellaneous items we'd need as a group. She had even organized a grocery list, by the order we'd approach the items as we shopped. I love her to death and thank goodness she's into planning the way she is. It makes my life far easier when we go on vacations.

After Arizona's parents picked-up our daughter, we headed to REI, to buy some equipment for the fire and in case we decided to cook or make s'mores on the open fire. We also got some folding chairs and hiking equipment for all of us. As much as I like their products, it still amazes me how quickly your total can soar when you spend any time shopping there.

On the way home, we stopped by Costco and bought the non-perishable items we'd need as well. All that was left to do, was pack our clothes and get groceries. However, we had accomplished a lot that day and the other things would be easy to get or do, after work each day. The only major purchase left, was the storage container for the top of the SUV, but Arizona already had scheduled it to be installed in a few days. It would just be a matter of sharing a car that day when we worked.

After we unloaded our things that late afternoon and looked at the clock, we quickly realized we were going to be late if we didn't start getting ready. After fixing our hair and make-up, we were out the door. We stopped by the florist and picked up a mixed bouquet for Ari and just barely made it to her house by 6 pm.

As we rode up the elevator and walked to Ari's front door, Arizona started talking to me.

"Callie, are you going to be okay with all this tonight? Please tell me you won't say anything to either one of them, unless they bring something up?"

I only nodded, yes, as we walked down the hall to my sister's front door.

Renee was already there when we arrived and was wearing one of my sister's aprons, while she helped Ari cook. All I could think was, 'I wonder if they had spent any time apart that entire time since we last saw them?' I would find out later they hadn't and that Renee had taken Ari to some of her favorite places in Seattle that afternoon.

"Welcome you two, come on in," my sister said, as she closed the door.

As we walked in, I could smell the food cooking, it smelled exactly like the Mole sauce my Mother makes. Turns out Ari was making the sauce for some chicken and poblano stuffed peppers. It's a pairing we both had eaten a lot over our years growing up. Our Mom would sometimes use steak or pork as well, or make burritos or nachos.

"Can I get you both something to drink?"

"Ari, I'm fine with water, thank you." Arizona was smiling as she had just finished hugging the two of them, hello.

"I'll take a large glass of red wine, thanks." I wasn't trying to be weird, but was having a hard time being overly nice. Remembering Arizona's cautionary words walking in, I tried to dial it back a bit.

"How did your afternoon go ladies?" Arizona was doing her best to make conversation as she shot me a dirty look.

"It was good, Arizona. Renee showed me things she likes around Seattle and we went for a walk on the waterfront. How about you guys?"