Accidents Happen

Arizona's POV:

As we left the house, Callie grabbed her keys, locked the front door and then started up her car after we climbed in. Thankfully Callie offered to drive as she could already tell what a nervous wreck I was, we both were, but Callie was outwardly handling it better than I was. 

We made it to the I-5 on-ramp in about 10 minutes and headed south towards Olympia and the small, St. Peter Hospital where our daughter and my parents were taken.

"Arizona, what exactly did the woman at the hospital say to you over the phone?"

"She said they were sideswiped by another vehicle and were taken by ambulance to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. She said everyone was stable, but they were running tests to rule out a few things. Of course she wouldn't elaborate over the phone about anything else."

"Arizona, who do we know that works at St. Peter? Anyone?"

"Callie, I don't know anyone there as they don't have a Peds surgery department. Do you know anyone in their Ortho department?"

"Wait a minute, I just might. Remember the Fellow I had at Grey Sloan, just before I moved to New York? I'm pretty sure she was going to apply for an Ortho position at St. Peter after her fellowship, since she was from Olympia. Her last name is Wheeler, first name is Laura."

I quickly started looking up the Ortho docs at St. Peter to look for Laura Wheeler. Sure enough, there she was.

"Callie, you were right, there's a Laura Wheeler, MD, in their Ortho Department. It lists her Fellowship at Grey Sloan, that's got to be her."

"Okay, that's good to know in case we need someone on the "inside," to help us at all."

"Arizona, how are you holding up?" Callie grabbed my left hand and squeezed it. As she held my hand on top of my left thigh, I could feel her playing with my engagement ring.

"I'm doing okay Callie, but I will feel better once we get there and see exactly what is going on. You know me, I am calm at the start and during the crisis, it's on the backend of the crisis that I get emotional."

"I know Arizona, I know, sweetheart. You've always been my girl that's a cool headed surgeon, until you're left with the aftermath." Callie patted my hand and thigh reassuringly.

The next 50 minutes seemed to take forever as we drove through the rain and the traffic to get to Olympia. We parked and both went running towards the ER entrance. 

Running into an ER entrance is something we're no strangers to, but when it's your family, the feelings you have while doing so are gut wrenching.

Callie, was of course faster than me, with her long legs and no prosthetic, and beat me to the front desk by a few seconds.

"Can I help you?" The woman at the front desk had turned around and acknowledged Callie and myself as I joined her seconds later.

"We're here to see our daughter and my parents, Sophia Torres, Colonel Daniel Robbins and Barbara Robbins. They were brought in about 90 minutes ago status-post MVA."

"Okay, let me see if their attending doctor is available, hold on." The receptionist paged the doctor of record, awhile Callie and I waited patiently off to the side of the desk.

Within 10 minutes, a young looking resident came walking towards us. I know I'm getting older, but residents are starting to look younger and younger to me each and every year. This doc was no exception and looked like he had just graduated from college.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Patel, I'm the doctor that has been treating your family since they were brought in." He extended his right hand and in turn, shook my hand and then Callie's hand.