Life is What Happens When You Least Expect It Part II

Callie's POV:

After we got Arizona discharged and I got her home, I immediately followed her into our bedroom. While she went to the bathroom, I laid out my old college softball t-shirt I gave her the day before we got married this year and a pair of her flannel pajama pants. Just after setting up her pajamas, I scooted quickly into the kitchen to grab us water and an ice-pack for Arizona's head to help with some of her head contusion edema/inflammation.

I realized when I walked back into our bedroom, I had beat Arizona back to our bed, so, I turned our bed down and started putting on my own pajamas. Arizona walked out of the bathroom, just in time to see me bra-less and just wearing my panties. 

She immediately walked over to me and wrapped her arms and hands around my mostly naked body. Which of course, normally turns me on, but in this case, it was reassuring and comforting after our day.

"Callie, thanks for looking after me today and taking time off to protect me the next few days. I would have been fine without you, but am thrilled you will be taking care of me, nonetheless.

"Arizona Robbins, I will always be your consonant wife that will, FOREVER, look out for you... You are my world, my heart and the integral part that makes up my soul. You are my love, you are my life, you are my woman and will forever be my wife."

"Callie, that is one of the most adorable things you have said to me. Are you okay? I saw how stressed you were in the ER this afternoon when you checked in on me, but completely understood." Arizona squeezed me tighter in that moment. She asked her question at the right time and held me in such a way that it made me start spewing waterworks. 

"I'm sorry Arizona, but knowing what had happened to you today made me yet again realize how fragile our lives are. Sure, after our car accident and your plane crash, I'm fully aware of how precious life is, but it's getting sudden, traumatic reminders that set me off. I can't imagine my life without you in it and think I have PTSD from all of our previous personal traumas.

As Arizona continued to hold me, she kissed me and said, "You're not alone with your PTSD from everything we've survived. I choose to look at it this way though, it's made us stronger, a closer couple and very caring parents because we realize how incredible it is to have each other and the miracle that is our daughter. When you were in a coma after the car accident, it felt like I was on pins and needles between your survival and Sophia's."

"I know you must have been Arizona, but you never left my side or Sophia's. If it wasn't for you, I don't know that our daughter would have lived by the way she was forced to come into this world." I was still crying as Arizona continued to hold me and now was gently stroking my naked back."

"Calliope, come cuddle with me in bed so we can order delivery food, okay?" I nodded yes, as Arizona wiped the tears from under my eyes with her thumb and kissed me again.

After I threw on an oversized t-shirt, and left my panties on, I crawled into bed and snuggled into my girl that had the stressful day at work. Together, we figured out which pasta dishes we were going to get that night so we could share. 

When the food arrived, I brought in tray tables for the bed with our meals. We snuggled close together that night and decided to watch a movie while we ate.  We each took turns eating our own dishes, sampling food off each other's plates or giving each other bites off our forks. 

Despite the craziness of the day, that moment will be one I'll never forget. It's amazing how just being next to Arizona makes me feel better about life and myself. 

The older I've gotten and the more time we are together as partners, has made her my rock in this world. But, I also know her weaknesses and needs as we've aged together and am always here to be her safety net. Getting older as a couple has it's pluses and minuses I suppose.