Love Isn't Always Easy Part II

Callie's POV:

I went to work so angry that Friday morning after my fight with Arizona. We have never fought since our remarriage, but instead, have "passionate" conversations when the other feels they're right in any given dispute.

In fact, we made a pact when we got back together to not fight or yell, but to use our words and discuss things without hurting one another. Hurting each other was something we both were famous for doing during the latter part of our first marriage. 

The demise of our first marriage was definitely a lack of respect for each other towards the end. Couple that with how we'd take pop-shots at the other one in order to feel better about the prior wrongs by one another, and it was an explosive combination to the integrity of our relationship.  

We vowed before our 2nd wedding to never let that happen again, but somehow we had that morning. So, not only was I upset with Arizona, but I was upset we had fought, especially in front of Sophia.

The stress of what had been going on between Arizona and myself must have showed on my face that day, because everyone kept staring at me when I'd leave my office. After dropping off my purse in my office that morning, I quickly went by the coffee kiosk on my floor and grabbed a cappuccino and some coffee cake while still being stared at and whispered about by staff members. I couldn't get back to my office fast enough in that moment before my rounds.

For once I was thrilled I mostly had administrative time that day. I genuinely hate completing paperwork, but it sounded better than seeing a ton of patients and staff. Since I only had a few post-ops to see, I was quickly done with rounds by 10 am.

As I sat at my desk that late morning, answering emails, I heard a knock on my partially open door. It turned out to be Meredith.

"Hey Callie. Do you have a few minutes this morning?"

"Sure, Mer, come in and take a load off." I motioned towards the chairs in front of my desk and Meredith picked the one facing the right side of my desk and sat down.

"I was just wondering how things are going for you this week, Callie? I know you've not been yourself and after noticing Arizona's absence this week, I heard through the rumor mill that she's quitting. Not that I trust the rumor mill, but I know she's been out."

"Well, to be honest with you Mer, Arizona's at a crossroads right now about being a surgeon. She's had a terrible couple months on many levels and is ready to walk away."

"That's not like Arizona! She loves being a surgeon and that radiates from her with everything she does. She's always been an inspiration to me when I get down about what we do. Has she decided what she is going to do yet, Callie? This hospital will be lost without her. Just having her out this week has already been a challenge."

"I wish I knew Meredith, but I can honestly say that the only time I have seen Arizona in such a deep depression, was after she lost her left leg. She just mopes around the house, mostly in our bed and hasn't showered in four days. It's been hard on Sophia and on me. I just want to help her, but I'm not sure she wants to be helped. Seems like she'd rather wallow in her sorrow, then pick herself back up."

"Callie, we've all been there or will be as surgeons at some point. We saw Derek and Christina both go through horrible moments that made them temporarily walk away. I'm sure you've debated in your past about walking away sometimes, we all have at some point. Let's face it, we'd be lying if we didn't admit to being in that same spot. Whether those reasons are personal or professional, at some point we all crack a little. Lord knows I have."

"You're of course, right Meredith. I know that, but it's different this time with Arizona. I'm worried she may not come back and if she does, that she won't be herself, ever again. I'm also worried that we, as a couple, will never be the same again. She's always been my rock to some extent, my sounding board for how I should deal with tough situations. I don't know if she will come out of this, and still be that girl again."