Chapter 63

January was coming to an end, February nearing. It was crazy how you didn't even realize the time go by, anymore. It just went... by. Little Chris and Cameron were starting to spend more time with Chris, which I could see was really making him happy. However, Blake and I had just been focusing on us. We both knew we had a future. We both had love for each other, and the suspension Blake had from the league was really helping us work on the new us. So far I liked it.

"So..." I started, flopping onto my stomach to look up at Blake, who was already looking down at me. He brushed the hair out of my face and smirked down to me. "What are we doing for Valentine's Day?" I knew Blake wasn't going to tell me, important days like these, he didn't talk about.

"Um..." He trailed off, bringing his eyesight away from mine. "I'm thinking about just chilling at home... ordering one of those adorable heart shaped pizzas, eating chocolate until we get sick, and maybe a few romantic comedies." I hit his shoulder playfully, and he chuckled.

"Blake Austin Griffin, if you think I believe that, you're a load of shit... but the hottest load of shit I've ever met," he groaned and leaned down to kiss me.

"Okay, fine, you caught me," Blake said, "but don't worry about it. You know I always do the best." I couldn't help but nod to that answer. Everything Blake did, never seized to amaze me. I settled on that answer, lying back down in his lap. "Do you ever..." Blake trailed off, biting his lower lip, looking away from me.

"What?" I asked him, looking up at him. He took a deep breath and ran his hand over his face.

"Do you ever wonder what life would be without basketball?" He asked me, looking down into my eyes, stroking my hair softly.

I nodded. "Of course, I have... I think everyone has one time or another... what are you getting at?" He shook his head, a small smirk forming on his face.

"Nothing..." He trailed off again, but I knew it was one of those moments where Blake was going to say 'nothing', but then talk about it. "After my dad past away, I did a lot of thinking about it. Every time I pick up that basketball... I just can't do it without thinking about him. Basketball has treated me so well... with everything, but I was just wondering... what would happen if I... stopped. You know? Like... retire or take a break." I reached up and touched Blake's forehead.

"Blake, are you sick?" I asked him and he shook his head no. "That's crazy. You love basketball. Retire? You're only twenty-five! If need be... tell the league you need a break from this season. Just this season. I don't exactly agree with it, but I think you should run your little idea by your teammates. Don't really think they'll appreciate one of their all-stars just up and leaving them." Blake smiled and I smiled too. "There's that million-dollar smile I fell in love with." He bent down and kissed me. As if on cue; Matt, DJ an Chris busted through our front door, loud and laughing like a group of hyenas. I looked up to Blake and nodded, telling him to tell them now. I sat up, and moved closer to Blake as he put his arm around my waist.

"Thanks for ringing the doorbell," Blake added sarcastically and smiled as all the guys piled onto the couch.

"Matt, I haven't seen you in forever! Thanks for the kitchen pans they're really gonna help with the cooking lessons," I joked and he smiled, giving me a quick hug. Matt had agreed to help with Blake and I's cooking, as we weren't very skilled. I looked to Blake, who looked at me and took a deep breath, facing the guys.

"I've been thinking about stuff..." Blake trailed off, losing his smile and the optimism in his voice. I personally was interested to see what the boy's reactions would be.

"You're breaking up?" DJ blurted out and Blake shook his head immediately.

"No!" Blake shouted and I tried to stifle a giggle.

"Oh, okay, good!" DJ said, pretending to wipe sweat from his forehead.

"I've been thinking about talking to the league and seeing if I can be out for the rest of the season..." Blake trailed off, looking from Chris, to DJ, to Matt.

"No," Chris piped up out of all three of them. "No way, you can't do that to us. That's... no, no, that can't happen."

"Why would you even think about that, Blake?" DJ asked, his voice sounding a little hurt.

"He's not gonna think about it, 'cause it isn't gonna happen," Chris informed DJ. DJ ignored Chris and looked to Blake for answers.

"With everything that has happened this year, I just feel I need a break," Blake told Chris as nicely as possible. "My dad was my biggest basketball inspiration and... it's been tough still playing without him. I just feel I need a break." DJ and Chris looked to Matt. Matt noticed both of them looking at him, and he decided to put in his two cents.

"I think we should do what Blake wants," Matt said, nodding and smiling to Blake. "He's been through so much these past couple of months... that, we shouldn't even have a say in this. It isn't our choice." DJ seemed to nod along with Matt, a little before Chris piped up again.

"Blake... buddy," Chris put his hand on Blake's shoulder and ran his other hand over his face. "You're my best friend." DJ and Matt gasped. "One of my best friends. I would support you on this, you have to believe me, I would... but I can't. I just can't. We are best friends, but this is team business. This is our life. If you leave... we won't have a chance of winning the championship, won't even have a chance of getting in the finals, not even the semi-finals. We can't do this without you. You're the man." Blake groaned a little and put his head in his hands.

"Chris, I know how hard this is on you... but I can't. I just need a break. Please." Blake said, but Chris was shaking his head.

"Blake, I would be throwing away my whole entire chance for the championship, can you at least see how this would be difficult for me?" Chris asked him and Blake nodded, but Matt interjected.

"We can always win next year," Chris turned to Matt, "but let the man do what he wants." Chris turned to Blake, and Blake looked to Chris. Chris ran his hands over his face, and then looked back up to Blake. He simply nodded.

I'd like to thank @babyhwade @daceyyywillmannn and @idaa32 for your constant participation through the story, it means a lot to me. Sorry to whoever else I missed, I will include your name in the next few chapters. Keep voting and commenting, love you. Xx.💘
-Morgan

Please don't go away. Please. No one's ever stuck with me for so long before•