Chapter 17

It had been three weeks since Chris had moved in, and soon the season was starting. In a month, at least. I would miss all of them like crazy. I had no one here. Amber kept saying she was coming back home, but she hadn't and DJ was considering flying to South America. Chris had attempted to call and text Jada, but eventually she had blocked his number. I knew all the guys were leaning towards making me drop a visit to Jada. They had been subtly dropping hints, and personally, my life had been boring lately without basketball I needed something to do. Blake, Chris and DJ had been getting more practice in for the season soon, and had been progressing on their game more and more. I heard the chair squeak next to mine as someone sat down. I looked up from my book, and saw Blake smiling to me like an idiot. "Your nose is always stuck in a book," Blake commented, and I cocked my head to the side, looking up to him, my hair covering one of my eyes. "Oh no, not the look that makes me want to pounce on you." I snickered when Blake said that, and continued reading. He put his large hand over the page of the book and I sighed, putting it down on the counter.

"What, babe?" I asked him. He leaned in and kissed me softly, and then kissed me again.

"Do you want coffee? I can make you dinner, if you want," Blake offered. I cocked my eyebrows.

"What's up with you?" I asked, closing my book and losing my page. "You're buttering me up for something. You suck at cooking, and the only coffee you know how to make is from a Keurig." Blake snorted.

"What's wrong with Keurig coffee?" Blake asked, taken aback. I laughed. "And what? No, I'm not buttering you or anything."

"Blake, just tell me," I said. He looked like he wasn't going to say anything. I did the same face, and cocked my head, letting my hair fall across my eyes. Blake groaned and looked away. He was sitting in a swivel chair on the island counter and I spun him around towards me, keeping the same face. "Blakey," I said in a whiny voice. "Please tell me, baby," I said giving him a light kiss. He groaned again. I see that way wasn't working. I dropped off the chair and walked over in front of where he was sitting. "Oh," I moaned. He groaned again. I wrapped my hands around his head, bringing our faces closer and my chest near his face. "Too bad you can't tell me." I traced circles on his chin, with my thumb. I put on my best sexy voice, which wasn't very good. "I was thinking the earlier you told me... we could... go upstairs... mess around..."

"Okay! Okay!" Blake gave in, putting up his hands in defeat. "I... We need you to go over to Chris' house and talk to Jada, please." He semi-begged. I smiled. "You will?" Blake asked and I nodded.

"Uh, thanks, babe! You're the best," Blake said kissing me, and then rubbing my bottom lip with his tongue, waiting for me to open up.

"Not so fast, sly guy," I said, pushing him away. Blake made a pouty face. "I'm going over now just so I can get away from you guys." I said, laughing. Blake playfully slapped my arm. "Hey, don't slap my arm." I turned around and Blake slapped my butt. I jumped. "Hey, I said don't slap me."

"You said don't slap your arm," Blake corrected, sending me a sly smile. I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed my purse sitting in the foyer and walking out the door to the driveway where my car sat. I got into the car, and turned it on, practicing on what I was going to say to Jada.

************************************

I could see Jada's car in the driveway, and knew she had to be home. Chris and Camryn had to be at school or preschool. I walked up to the door, that stood at a height of twelve feet and overwhelmed me a little. I heard Jada unlock the door, but when she saw me, she attempted to shut it. I stopped the door with my hand, pushing against her. I eventually won, her looking quite embarrassed. "Damn you, basketball players," she cursed.

"Jada, can I please just talk to you?" I begged, looking pretty desperate from the door. Jada thought about it for a minute, and then motioned me into the foyer. "Thanks," I muttered, entering the foyer. Jada nodded in response. She was just in sweats and looked pretty laid back. She didn't look like she missed Chris at all. "Are Chris and Camryn at school?" Jada nodded again. "Look, Jada, we used to be friends. Remember that? Why can't we just be friends again? Talk like friends?"

"That was before you chose my husband over me. You invited him to move in. Can't you see how it's hard for me to see you, when all you remind me of is Chris?" Jada asked me, and I thought about it for a minute. I didn't know what to say. That was one hundred percent true.

"Jada, he had no other place to stay. What could I do?" I asked her and she shook her head, biting her lower lip.

"Morgan, he's a multi-millionaire, he could afford anywhere," Jada objected. Damn, Jada and her smarts. I opened my mouth to say something, but couldn't find any words. "Exactly, you don't have anything."

"You know he still loves you?" I interjected. "He still cares about you?" Jada shook her head as soon as I said it.

"But he chooses some random groupie for one night over our whole relationship?" Jada asked, narrowing her eyes to me. "You'll see how hard it is, when Blake goes away and you'll see how hard it is remembering he loves you. Sure, you'll get a call every night, but keep in mind they're surrounded my girls every day, every night they're gone. I'm just done. I'm sick and tired of it. How do I know he isn't going to go away and do it again? I can't have that bad behavior around my kids." I shook my head.

"Jada, out of all these years, he's only done it once," I reminded her.

"That doesn't excuse it!" She snapped. I sighed, I didn't know what else to say. This was going to be difficult. Every response I had, Jada had a better one. I did want Jada back as a friend, but she would have to trust me. And I just didn't think she would be able too.

"Jada, I want to be your friend again. Just because Chris and I are friends, doesn't stop us from being friends." I said calmly to Jada and she rolled her eyes.

"What? Can I come over?" Jada spat, rolling her eyes again and snorted. I shook my head.

"You can," I stated, Jada turning away from me.

"You only remind me of Chris, okay? I'm sorry," Jada said, keeping her back to me and steadying her hands on the railing.

"Look, can you at least not fight for full custody?" I hated to put our small friendship behind us, but I came here for one reason, to get Chris and Jada back together, and if I couldn't do that, convince her not to fight for full custody. "Chris has a special bond with the kids he loves more than anything in the world. Please don't ruin the years of that. You know Little Chris won't forgive you for that. He loves his dad. Please?" She stayed quiet for a few moments not saying anything. I could hear her sigh.

"But that's taking my kids away, the two things I love most in the world," Jada said.

"That's how Chris feels," I cut her off before she could say anything more.

"I guess you're right," Jada said, turning to me, "I won't fight for custody. Chris deserves that much. But I will never get back together with Chris. That's... out of the question."

"Out of the question for now or?" I objected.

"Forever."

I love this chapter tbh