Chapter 77

The clock was ticking time away, as the ticking was driving me mentally insane. Maya was sitting at the counter waiting for the test results to come through on the three sticks. "Whatever it is," Maya broke the eerie silence, "I always got your back. Okay? Whatever happens... I'm here." I wasn't in the mood to get into a sappy, huge friendship reunion when I was facing something huge.

"Thanks, Maya," I said, smiling, looking to my lap. The eerie silence crept back again. The fifteen minute wait was starting to feel like an hour, and it hadn't even been five minutes. "Maya?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm a fucking idiot, aren't I?"

"You kinda are," she added back with a little giggle. "You're not an idiot but what you did... was stupid." I nodded in agreement, having been scolded way too many times about the whole situation.

"What do I do if it's Russell's?" I asked and Maya shook her head.

"You only had sex with him once, and Blake you've had sex with many times, I mean," she said, holding up her hands, "what are the odds?" That only shrunk my worry down by a little before it came creeping back into me again. I stood up, not being able to sit down, in impatience and anxiety.

"I don't know, Maya," I commented, pacing back and forth, "something just doesn't feel right." She sighed and didn't try to get me to sit down or calm down at all this time, I guess she was finally realizing no matter what she said, it wasn't going to calm me down. Maya looked at the clock, and then flipped over all the tests.

"The results are here," Maya commented, taking a deep breath. Her back was facing me as she was looking at the tests seriously. She dropped them, and turned around to face me, nodding her head. I spun on my heels, and ran my hands over my face repeatedly.

"Fuck!" I yelled, pacing around the room fast.

"Morgan, calm down, okay?" She told me, in her best calming voice. But even her voice was shaking. "You are gonna tell Blake, and everything will be okay. I'll even tell him with you if you want."

"What if it's Russell's, Maya?" I asked her, taking a deep breath, but I felt the feeling I was going to vomit coming on again.

"Let's not think about that, alright?" she asked me, and it took me a few moments, but I nodded and took a deep breath. "We are all going out to dinner tonight, we'll tell him after... or do you want to do it alone?"

"Thanks for all the support, it means so much," Maya nodded and I smiled, "but I want to do this on my own. I want to show Blake I am strong and I can take some responsibility. But thanks." I smiled again, and punched her arm playfully. She smiled back to me and nodded, looking at the time on her phone.

"Well... we're all meeting for dinner soon... I better go shower and get ready," like that, Maya had created tension between us. I wasn't sure how, but the air grew tense in between us. I smiled, and she moved to the door. "I'll see you there."

"Of course," I nodded, thinking I should probably go get ready. For more than just the dinner. I moved my way into the bedroom, grabbing the clothes I would wear before I would have to put on my uncomfortable dress and heels. I moved easily, feeling the lump in my throat grow bigger and bigger. I locked the bathroom door behind me, turned on the light, put my clothes on the counter, took off my basketball clothes, turned on the shower, looked at myself in the mirror and burst into nothing but hot tears. I put my back onto the bathroom door and slid down it, gasping for breath. This was it. I wasn't going to be a coward this time. I had to face what was ahead of me, and what was ahead of us was a family.

111111111111111111111111111111111111

"Hi, darling," Russell joked to me, wrapping me into a hug. I smiled to him as we exchanged a hug, and as Kevin did the same. Blake, DJ, Maya, Chris, Skylar and Matt, and Matt's wife, Gloria, were all inside the restaurant waiting for us. Other basketball stars had joined us, but Blake hadn't specified who they were.