Chapter 88

"Some interview that was," Matt joked, pulling his shoes on, and looking in the mirror. I didn't really find it amusing. I was holding his jacket for him while we were in Foot Locker.

"Was it really that bad?" I asked him and he looked up to me, grimacing. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "I just... I hope Blake knows that I don't have feelings for Russell, at all."

"Well, is that true?" Matt asked, narrowing his eyes at me. I gasped. He looked back down to his shoes, pulling them on.

"You too?" I asked him, and he grimaced once again. "I thought you would be with me on this one."

"I've seen what I've seen," Matt pointed out, putting the shoes back in the box. "Look, I've never seen Blake have feelings like this, be in love like this, for a girl, ever, except you. He loves you with all his heart. Right now... He's just sort of hurt. With the affair, cheating scandal, and then the drugs, and him figuring out about your childhood, and the pregnancy thing... twice. He's just sort of...broken. He's starting to trust you, get closer to you again. Don't lose that, don't ruin that. I hope you don't mind that he's told me everything that has happened," he grabbed another box of shoes, putting them on, and looking at them in the mirror.

"Of course I don't, you're one of us, and I trust you," I told him, nodding. I did trust Matt. He was a cool, great guy, and he seemed trustworthy and overall chill. I needed more people like that honestly.

"Glad to be in the clique," he commented, smiling up at me. "Seriously." I smiled back at him and hid my smile. "But you and Maya... that's something else."

"What do you mean?" I asked him, and he gave me that "really?" look.

"How were you guys ever really close?" He asked me, "you guys are about as stable as a house of cards. One second, you're fine, the next, you guys are beating each other up. Don't get me wrong, she's a real piece of work."

"What about you?" I asked him, wanting to change the topic off me.

"What about me?" He asked, taking his eyes off the shoes and looking up to me.

"I mean, is that the reason you and Gloria are splitting up? Because your relationship is just so... up and down?" I asked him and he looked up at me in a hurry.

"How did you know about that?" He asked me, putting the shoes back in the box, and standing up, above me.

"Your ring isn't on your finger," I remarked pointing to his hand. "You're never with her anymore. You guys never post anything on social media together. You know you could've told me." The Foot Locker employee carried away the boxes as Matt's eyes followed him to the counter. We both strolled to the counter.

"I know I could've told you," Matt remarked, waiting in line behind everyone else. "Hell, I probably would've told you first. But nothing is... finalized."

"So, what was the reason? Who left who?" I asked him as we stepped up to the counter. Matt shot me a "when-we-get-out-of-here" look and I nodded in approval. Matt bought his shoes, and we walked out of Foot Locker and back onto the street. I looked at him, waiting for answers.

"You were right," he said, his breath warming up the air. "It was too up and down for me. She's just... a whore. The whole reality TV show, crazy bitch, I'm over it. We were fighting a lot and I didn't want that for Isaiah and Carter. That's why I got majority of the custody... It's been hard for me, being away a lot and all... Besides the fact, she cheated on me with our good family friend in our own bed," he added nonchalantly. I opened my mouth and stared at him.

"No," I said, shaking my head. He nodded and pursed his lips, not wanting to remember the memory clearly. I saw the hotel coming into view, as the cold air pierced my lungs.