Fair Game: I'm So Cold

Clover's POV

Qrow and I were clearing out some Grimm in eastern region near a frozen lake. It was a lot tougher than I expected. I tried calling for reinforcements, but both of our comms got busted. The Grimm were everywhere and they were relentless. We were down to the last few Grimm when my aura broke and my leg got hurt. The last Grimm stood over me and was about to attack when Qrow actually jumped on top of the beast a gets it in a headlock.

"Qrow, what the h*ll are you doing!?" I asked while the Grimm tried to shake him off.

"Protecting you, what does it look like I'm doing!?" Qrow replied trying his best to stay on.

Then the Grimm manages to grab him and throw him several feet. Qrow bounces off the ground, his aura shattering, and slides on the ice to the center of the frozen lake. Before the Grimm could make its way towards him, I pick up Harbinger and stab it, killing it. My injured leg gives out, and I fall back down. In the distance I see Qrow stand up holding his shoulder.

"Are you okay!" I shout to him.

He holds up his thumb just before the ice beneath him cracks and he falls through.

"QROW!!" I yelled getting up and limping as fast as I possibly can to where Qrow fell in.

I drop to my knees in front of the hole and look into the water. It's too dark for me to see anything.

"Come on think, d*mn it, think!" I mutter to myself.

Finally getting my head on straight, I grab Kingfisher and extend it into the water. When I hook onto something, I pull with all of my strength. The moment Qrow's head breaks through the surface of the water, I grab the collar of his shirt and pull him the rest of the way out. Qrow lays on the ice coughing, gasping, and shivering violently.

"C-Clover...I'm c-c-cold....s-so cold." Qrow whimpered curling up into a ball, shaking.

"It's alright, honey, I got you." I said taking him into my arms, holding him tightly.

It doesn't happen often, but I have absolutely no idea what to do. I can't call for help, cause comms are busted; I can't just wait for help, Qrow will freeze to death. I'm panicking, and it's obvious to Qrow. He puts his hand on my chest and gives me a weak, but reassuring smile. I hold him impossibly closer, trying to use my own body heat to keep him as warm as possible.

"W-wait...I h-have a-a-an...idea." Qrow said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"R-remember when I-I told...y-you th-th-that...I c-could turn into...a-a bird?" Qrow answered getting colder by the minute.

"Yeah? But what does that have anything to do with it?" I replied confused.

"W-well, the thing is...I-I don't n-n-need...my s-semblance or a-aura...to do that l-l-little t-trick." Qrow said smiling smugly.

Before I could ask another question, Qrow transforms into a little black bird. That's when I figured it out; Qrow did this so it would be easier to carry him. I gently stuff him into my shirt to keep him warm. Then I go to stand, and all the adrenaline I had goes away leaving the intense and excruciating pain of my injured leg. I immediately fall back to the ground crying out in pain. I then begin to sob, both from pain and the fact that I feel completely useless.

"I-I'm sorry, Qrow. I'm sorry I couldn't get us out of here." I cried.

I curl up into a ball around the little bird tucked into my shirt. If I can't get him to safety, then I might as well use myself to keep him from freezing to death, even if I freeze to death doing so. I'm usually used to the cold Solitas air, but right now, laying on the ice in a sleeveless shirt; the cold stabs at me like a knife. It must be because of my injury, it's probably causing me to go into shock. The throbbing pain in my leg is now starting to make me feel very lightheaded.

"Qrow...I think...I-I think I'm gonna...p-pass out." I said, my eyelids growing heavy.

Right before I lose consciousness, I hear frantic squawking and wings flapping against my chest. Then, the next thing I know I'm waking up in the infirmary at Atlas Academy. I'm in a bed, covered in like...four or five blankets, and I have quite the cast on my leg. Taking a closer look at the cast, I noticed several signatures on it. There was team RWBY's names, team JN_R's, the Ace Ops', Oscar's, Penny's...Winter even signed my cast; that I was surprised about. But the one signature I didn't see was Qrow's. Then I remembered what happened and became instantly worried.

"Qrow! Qrow, where are you!? Are you okay!?!" I shout, freaking out.

I looked around the room and didn't Qrow anywhere. Oh gods, he's dead isn't he? I mean, why else wouldn't he be here at my side? Why else wouldn't he sign my cast? He's dead...he's dead and it's all my fault. I cover my face with my hands and cry my eyes out. I don't even look when I hear the door being opened, or when I hear fast footsteps approach my bed.

"Clover?" I heard Qrow's worried voice.

I uncover my face and see my boyfriend looking at me concerned.

"Babe, why are you crying? Are you in pain?" Qrow asked, caressing my face.

For about ten minutes, I just sit there and stare at him, so d*mn glad that he's alive and well. But the more I remain silent, the more worried Qrow gets.

"I...I thought...you were dead for a moment. When I didn't see you in here after waking up, I thought you had died." I answered his earlier question.

"Oh, babe, I'm so sorry." Qrow said hugging me.

"How are you okay?" I asked hugging back.

"Because of you, silly. You kept me warm. And by the time help came, I was pretty much back to my normal body temperature. But, you...you were hurt...and hypothermic. Gods, I was so scared I was going to lose you." Qrow explained.

He stops hugging me then cups my face and kisses my forehead.

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"Only a day." replied Qrow.

"But, seriously, how are you feeling? Does your leg hurt? Are you still cold?" he asked, fretting over me.

"I'm fine, now that I know you're okay. My leg...that's a bit of a dull ache. And I'm a little cold." I replied to each question.

"Do you want another blanket?" Qrow asked me.

"No, just cuddle me." I answered.

Smiling, Qrow crawls into the bed on my uninjured side. Now both of us are under the covers holding each other.

"Hey, um...why...why haven't you signed my cast yet?" I asked shyly, nuzzling my face into the crook of Qrow's neck.

"Cause I wanted to wait until you were awake." Qrow replied pressing his lips to my temple.

He sits up and grabs a marker from the table next to the bed. Next he leans over my cast and starts writing on it.

"There. Done." Qrow said putting the cap back on the marker.

On my cast was Qrow's name written surprisingly neatly. Underneath his signature was a little drawing of a heart with a bird and four-leaf clover in it. It was so sweet and cute, it my heart swell with joy and love.

"I love you so d*mn much." I told him, getting back into our cuddling positions.

"Ditto." Qrow said kissing my cheek.

Being in Qrow's arms was the warmest I've ever felt. Nothing else even comes close to that warm feeling, not even the fluffiest blanket can compare to Qrow's embrace.