Fair Game: A Familiar Kind of Tenderness

Many, many years ago at Beacon Academy.....

Team STRQ are getting ready for class, but one of them had unfortunately caught a nasty cold that had been sweeping through the school. And the unlucky victim was...Qrow Branwen. Though obviously sick, he still attempted to join his team to class.

"Dude, you're contagious, stay here." Tai said.

"Yeah, idiot, don't infect everyone else!" Raven added.

"Raven! Don't be mean to your brother!" Summer scolded.

Raven just rolls her eyes and walks out of the room. Tai and Summer exchange looks then nod at each other. After that, Tai follows after Raven. Before Qrow could walk out the door, Summer closes the door and stands in front of it, blocking his path.

"Summer, come on we're gonna be late to class." Qrow said, his voice hoarse and nearly gone.

"Nope! You're not going to class, you're gonna get your butt back in that bed and you're gonna rest. And I'm staying here to make sure you stay put." replied Summer.

"Oh yeah? Try and make me, short-stack!" Qrow sassed.

"Challenge accepted." Summer giggled smirking.

In one fluid motion, Summer had quickly slung her teammate over her shoulder...much to his shock.

"What the...how....w-what!?!" Qrow stammered, completely flabbergasted.

"Wow, Qrow, I never realized how light you were." Summer said.

"Put me...*cough**cough*...down!" Qrow grumbled.

"Okay." Summer replied walking over to Qrow's bed and dropping him on it.

"That's not...*cough*...what I mea-*cough*...what I meant!" Qrow said sounding much worse than before.

He tries to get up, but Summer pushes him back down. He tries again, but she just pushes him down again. This goes back and forth until Summer had enough.

"Alright, that's it. You asked for it." Summer said with determination.

She pushes him down onto the bed one more time, and before he could attempt to sit up, she sits on him; successfully pinning him down. He tried to push her off of him, it should be easy, she was about half his size anyway. But, he wasn't able to; the sickness had drained all his energy and strength.

"Summmmmerrrrrr! Get off meeee!" Qrow groaned...pitifully.

"Not until you agree to stay still and let me take care of you." Summer said folding her arms across her chest.

"Fiiineee!" Qrow sighed in defeat.

Satisfied with that answer, Summer gets off of him, tucks him under the covers, and sits on the edge of the bed.

"Be honest with me, how are you feeling?" Summer asked sincerely.

Looking into those big silver eyes, Qrow didn't have the heart to lie.

"Like sh...like crap." Qrow answered, correcting himself cause Summer didn't care for swearing.

"Aww, don't worry little birdie, your bestie will take good care of you." Summer said patting Qrow's head.

Then her hand lingers on his forehead for a bit.

"You have a fever. Stay here and I mean stay, while I go to the nurse's office to get you some medicine." Summer told him.

"Okay, short-stack." Qrow yawned.

With that warm and friendly smile that Qrow adores, Summer bends forward and presses the softest kiss to Qrow's forehead. She then gets up and leaves the room. Qrow smiles as his eyes droop and he drifts off to sleep.

Present day in Atlas....

Qrow has a bad cold and his boyfriend, Clover, is taking care of him. Well...trying to, cause the stubborn man is not making it easy.

"Qrow, lay down!" Clover told him pushing him down onto the bed.

"No! I have things I need to do!" Qrow argued trying to get up.

"Those things can wait! You need rest!" Clover replied.

Suddenly, Clover does something unexpected to make his boyfriend stay still. He...sits on him.

"Are you...sitting on me?" Qrow asked surprised.

"It was the only thing I could think of." Clover shrugged.

Old and fond memories flood Qrow's mind, making him feel several mixed emotions. Clover sees the inner turmoil going on in his boyfriend's head and caresses his cheek to get his attention.

"Hun, what's wrong? What are you thinking about?" Clover asked gently rubbing his thumb on Qrow's cheekbone.

"Ummm...i-it's nothing...don't worry about it." Qrow mumbled, putting up his emotional walls.

"Qrow, honey, please. You can tell me anything, you know that." Clover said.

"Well...it's just that...Summer would do the same thing when I was sick and wouldn't stay put in bed." Qrow admitted.

"Really?" Clover chuckled lightly.

"Yeah...ya know...you and Summer are kinda alike. You're both sweet and kind; you're both loyal as can be; and you're always there when your loved ones need you the most. I wish you could've met her, you guys would have been such good friends." Qrow said with a small happy-ish/sad-ish smile.

"You really miss her, don't you?" Clover asked laying on the bed beside Qrow and taking him into his arms.

"I-I do. She was...the best friend anyone could ever ask for. We just had this special connection...we were practically soulmates, except not romantically. Am I boring you with all this?" Qrow answered.

"Qrow, I love you and care about you. I want you to be able to feel free to talk about anything that's on your mind." Clover said pressing his forehead to Qrow's feverish one.

"Hehe...Summer said the same thing pretty much all the time." Qrow said snuggling into Clover's embrace.

"Sounds like Summer and I would get along very well." Clover replied kissing Qrow's head.

While Qrow slept in his boyfriend's arms, he dreamt about all the good and wholesome memories he had of his best friend and old partner, Summer Rose.