Fair Game: Here For You

It was a typical Saturday night for Qrow and Clover, cuddling on the couch watching a movie. The credits were rolling when Clover's scroll rang.

"It's my dad." Clover told Qrow.

Qrow mutes the tv so it doesn't disrupt Clover's call. He tries not to eavesdrop, because that's just rude, but Clover's literally right next to him so he couldn't help but overhear Clover's side of the conversation.

"Hey, Dad, what's up?" Clover said answering the scroll.

"Umm, Dad, what's that noise in the background?" he asked his father.

"What?? Dad, why is Mom crying? What's going on?" Clover asked concerned.

Qrow watches as Clover's expression goes from worry, to shock, then to heartbreak.

"That can't be true...y-you're mistaken." Clover said, his voice wavering.

Then, Clover shuts his eyes tightly as a single tear escapes out of the corner of his eye and drips down his cheek; while gripping the fabric of his pants tightly until his knuckles turned white. He was obviously trying to hold himself together...he was trying to keep his composure. The Ace Op takes a deep breath then rests his elbow on his knee and puts his head in his hand, still holding the scroll to his ear with the other hand.

"I'm fine, Dad....or at least I will be...I...I-I don't know, really. I don't know how to process any of this." Clover told his dad.

"I love you and Mom too. I'll see you guys tomorrow." he said, his voice on the verge of breaking.

When he hung up, Clover throws his scroll down onto the coffee table and covers his face with both of his hands. Knowing that his boyfriend had obviously received some very bad news, Qrow makes a move to comfort him. He wraps him in a gentle and warm embrace then kisses his head.

"What's wrong, babe, what happened?" Qrow asked.

Clover uncovers his face and wipes his tears off his cheeks.

"M-my Uncle Simon died." Clover replied sniffling.

"I'm so sorry, babe." Qrow said tightening his hug.

"Just let it all out. You'll feel better once you do, trust me." he told his boyfriend.

That's when the dam breaks and Clover starts sobbing in Qrow's arms. All while Clover is crying, Qrow holds him, rubs his back and head, and gives him forehead kisses. Once Clover was all cried out, Qrow lays the both of them down on the couch, Clover laying on top of Qrow, using his chest as a pillow.

"So...who's Uncle Simon?" Qrow asked carefully.

"His name was Simon Knight, he was on team JSTC with my mom, they were partners. He was my mom's best friend, and my godfather." Clover answered.

"Were the two of you close?" Qrow asked gently playing with Clover's hair.

"Yeah, he was like a second father to me, I learned a lot from him." Clover replied clutching Qrow's shirt as silent tears leaked from his eyes.

"He was like you in some ways. All dark and bloody. His voice was even gravelly like yours." he added lips curling up just a smidge.

"Seemed like a cool guy." Qrow said softly stroking Clover's bicep.

"He was....gods, he spent basically his whole life as a huntsman, risking his life everyday fighting deadly monsters...and he dies in the middle of a grocery store of a f**king heart attack. It's not fair!" Clover cried burying his face into Qrow's chest.

"Yeah, that is unfair. The world is so cruel sometimes...it takes away so many good people." Qrow said rubbing Clover's back.

"I miss him." Clover whimpered.

"I know, babe. I'm here for you." Qrow replied.

Qrow holds his boyfriend until he tires himself out and falls asleep. He pulls a blanket over the both of them and continues to hold Clover as he slept...soon falling asleep as well. The two slept all night on the couch.