Fair Game: A Familiar Magic Between Us pt.6

A/N: Magic AU.

Clover couldn't take it anymore, he couldn't handle the stress his conflicting feelings were causing. He knew that he was still in love with Qrow, so he decided that he had to break up with his current boyfriend, Arvel.

"Arvel...we need to talk." Clover said nervously while him and Arvel were out on a Sunday night.

"Judging by the look on your face, I'm guessing it's something not so good." Arvel replied.

"I just want you to know that you did nothing wrong." Clover assured him.

"You're...breaking up with me...aren't you?" Arvel asked frowning sadly.

"...I'm sorry. You're a great guy and I really do care about you a lot...but, I still have feelings for the guy I liked before dating you. I...I can't date someone if I can't give them the love they deserve, that just wouldn't be fair." Clover explained.

"Do...do you hate me?" he asked.

"No. Actually, this is the nicest way anyone has ever dumped me. None of my exes took my feelings into consideration, but you did, thank you for that." Arvel answered.

"So...we're good?" Clover asked him.

"Yeah, we're good." Arvel replied.

They hug, agree to be friends, then part ways. Clover wanted to confess to Qrow as soon as possible, but when he got back to his room, the familiar was already asleep.

"Well...I'll tell him tomorrow. I just hope he won't get mad at me or something." Clover said to himself.

The next day, perched on Clover's shoulder, Qrow overhears Clover and Punzie talking about Clover's break up with Arvel.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Punzie asked.

"I'm fine, Punz, really. Things just...didn't work out. We're still good friends." Clover told her.

"Well that's good." Punzie said.

During lunch, Robyn walks up behind Punzie and taps her shoulder.

"Yes?" Punzie said looking over her shoulder.

"Hey, umm, do you think you could help me study for my potions exam? I heard you're really good in that class." Robyn asked.

"Sure, okay." Punzie shrugged.

"Oh my god, thank you! I really need to pass this exam...or my dads will totally flip out." Robyn replied excitedly.

She squeezes Punzie in a tight bear hug, then goes back to her own table, with her lamb familiar following at her heels.

"Robyn, wait! We need to discuss a time and place to meet!" Punzie called out running after her.

Later on, in Protection From Malevolent Forces, Professor Ironwood was giving a lecture about the best way to defend yourself from werewolves when, Robyn, who wasn't in that class period, bursted into the room looking all frantic.

"Miss Hill, you better have a good explanation for disrupting my class, or I swear you'll have detention for a week!" Professor Ironwood threatened.

"Professor Ironwood, sir, it's an emergency! A-a student's been MURDERED!" Robyn explained freaking out.

"What!?!" Professor Ironwood replied shocked.

"Please, sir, hurry!" Robyn shouted.

"Okay, I'm coming! Miss Ederne, go get Headmaster Schultz, the rest of you stay where you are, and do not move from your seats!" Professor Ironwood ordered.

He follows Robyn out of the room and then Elm leaves the room and heads towards the headmaster's office. Everyone was so shocked and scared. Who died? Who killed them? Is there a dangerous person loose in the school? Is anyone else safe? The students wait patiently for someone to tell them what was going on...well, except for Clover, he couldn't wait to be told what was going on, he had to know. He gets up from his desk and bolts out the room, Qrow flying after him.

"CLOVER! WAIT!" Punzie yelled running after him.

The reason Clover had to know was because he had this odd feeling, this...sickening dread. He searched the halls, Qrow and Punzie chasing after him and trying to stop him, looking for where the murdered student was. Finally, he turns a corner and sees a bunch of teachers, the headmaster, and a bunch of medical staff gathered around a body.

"Clover, seriously, stop! Professor Ironwood told us to stay in the classroom." Punzie said finally catching up and grabbing Clover's arm.

"You should listen to her." Qrow said after turning into a human.

But Clover didn't listen to either of them, he just shook his arm out of Punzie's grasp and pushed past Qrow.

"Hey! Go back to your classroom, now!" Professor Goodwitch told Clover blocking his path.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I have to see what's going on." Clover replied.

"No, absolutely not! You shouldn't see this. What happened to this student...was...brutal. Please, return to your classroom." Professor Goodwitch said.

Just when it seemed like Clover was about to turn away and go back to class, he caught a glimpse of auburn hair.

"Wait...i-is that....?" Clover said the dread growing inside him.

He shoves teachers and medical staff out of the way so he could get a good look at the body they surrounded. The moment he saw that the murdered student was Arvel...Clover became extremely numb with shock.

"Oh my god, Arvel, NO!" Clover cried dropping to his knees.

Professor Goodwitch was right, the scene before Clover's eyes was brutal. Poor Arvel had large gashes all over his body, the worst being across his throat, causing blood to pool everywhere. He also had purple-ish vein-like markings on his skin, seemingly to stem from a wound on his arm that oozed a dark purple substance. Clover, couldn't hold back his tears or his sobs.

"Who would do this to him? He didn't do anything to anybody!" Clover sobbed.

As he cried over the death of his friend/ex-boyfriend, Clover felt arms wrap around him. The arms were small and slender, so it had to be Punzie.

"Clover...I-I'm scared...I wanna go back to the dorm." Punzie whimpered into Clover's shoulder.

Regaining some of his composure, Clover pulls himself off the floor and walks with Punzie back to the dorm. They sit on the couch in silence, trying desperately to get the horrific image of Arvel's mangled corpse out of their minds. Clover vowed to find out who did this to his friend. Whatever monster did had to pay for their crime.