Fair Game: The Black Bird of Vale pt.10

A/N: Vigilante AU.

When Clover got to his car after leaving work, he found a note on his windshield. On the note was an address and a time, and it was signed by Harbinger. 

"Awesome!" Clover cheered to himself.

He arrives at the address, which was an abandoned parking garage, twenty minutes earlier than the time on the note. Clover taps his foot nervously, waiting for Harbinger to arrive. 

"Alright, let's make this quick." a voice said from behind.

"Geez! Was that really necessary?" Clover said turning around, facing Harbinger.

"Sorry, but, last time we met, you snuck up on me." Harbinger chuckled.

"Okay, true." Clover agreed.

"Let's just get this interview started. Ask me your questions, but anything too personal and I walk, got it?" Harbinger said.

"Of course, that's completely understandable. Just let me grab a pen and paper and we can get started." Clover replied, rummaging through the glovebox of his car.

The interview went pretty well, Clover asked questions and Harbinger gave answers. 

"Okay, last question. Why do you do this? Y-you don't have to answer that if you don't want to." Clover asked.

"*sigh*...I lost a friend because I couldn't protect them. So, I do this so that no one else has to go through what I did...so that I won't fail to protect others as I failed to protect my friend." Harbinger told him.

"Oh...sorry about your friend." Clover said.

"Don't be, it was a long time ago." Harbinger replied.

"Well, thank you for meeting with me." Clover said shaking harbinger's hand.

"You're welcome." Harbinger said, a small smile hidden behind his mask.

"May I ask a few questions?" asked an eerie voice.

Tyrian slowly crept towards the two, the tip of his tail scraping against the concrete floor.

"Clover...get out of here...now." Harbinger told him, stepping in front of him.

"But, what about..." Clover tried to argue.

"GO!" Harbinger shouted.

Quickly, Clover gets into his car and drives away as Harbinger and Tyrian begin fighting. He pauses at the exit of the parking garage, contemplating what he should do next. That scorpion man looked dangerous, what if Harbinger got really hurt or worse killed. He couldn't let that happen when he could do something about it.

"D*mn it, Qrow, I'm sorry. I know I said I wouldn't put myself in dangerous situations anymore, but...I can't just leave him there to die." Clover said to himself.

Clover turns the car around and drives back up to the level the fight was taking place. He arrives there just in time to see Tyrian slice at Harbinger's side with his tail. Harbinger falls to his knees clutching at his side. Then Clover does the only thing he could think of...he steps on the gas and drives full speed towards the villain. Seeing what Clover was up to, Harbinger rolls out of the way so that he's not hit by the speeding car as well. Tyrian is hit by the car head on, tumbles across it, and lands on the ground behind it; then Clover backs over him for good measure.

"Are you okay!?" Clover called out to Harbinger getting out of the car.

"I...I-I'm...fine..." Harbinger answered, slowly standing up.

His legs shake then he falls down again with a groan. Clover gasped then rushes over to him and kneels next to him. Harbinger pulls his hand away from the wound and saw that it was oozing a strange purple substance.

"That doesn't look good." Clover said.

"No...no, it doesn't." Harbinger grunted, breathing heavily.

"Please let me help you. I can get you somewhere safe." Clover said placing his hand on Harbinger's back.

"N-no, you've helped enough, I'll be fine...just go." Harbinger protested.

"You're not fine! You've obviously been poisoned! If you don't get help, you're going to die!" Clover argued, draping Harbinger's arm over his shoulders and hoisting him up to his feet.

"Uhgg, alright. I'll tell you where my hideout is and you'll drop me off there and leave me, got it? I have associates there that can help me, so you don't need to stick around." Harbinger said, leaning against Clover, barely able to stand.

Clover places him into the passenger seat, then gets into the driver's seat and follows the directions Harbinger was giving him. Harbinger only got worse as time went on; his breathing became labored, he started to shake and shiver, and he coughed frequently and harshly. By the time they reached Harbinger's lair, he had already passed out. 

"Oh my goodness!" Penny gasped when she saw Clover carrying the vigilante.

"Help him, he's been poisoned." Clover told Penny and Pietro.

"Set him over there." Pietro said pointing to a cot.

Gently, Clover places Harbinger onto the cot, then his friends come and check him over.

"You should leave now, we got this." Pietro told Clover.

"I don't want to leave, I wanna make sure he's alright. Please, I can help." Clover begged.

"Sir...it would be wise for you to leave. We don't want his identity to be exposed." Penny told him.

"I won't tell anyone, I promise." Clover said, stubbornly staying put.

Penny and her father look at each other then sigh deeply.

"Fine, but don't say we didn't warn you." Pietro said.

He takes off Harbinger's mask and reveals that he was, in fact, Clover's boyfriend, Qrow. 

"W...W-what!? Qrow!? H-he's Harbinger!?" Clover said shocked.

"Calm down, Mr. Ebi. We need to focus if we're going to help Mr. Branwen." Penny said.

While Clover helped Pietro patch up Qrow's wound, Penny analyzed a sample of Qrow's blood to try and make an antidote for the poison that's running through his veins. Clover places a cold compress to Qrow's forehead to try to bring his very high fever down.

"Penny, how's that antidote coming along, Qrow's not looking so good over here?" Pietro asked his daughter.

"I'm having difficulties, I could really use your assistance." Penny replied.

"Go on, go help her. I got him." Clover said, sitting on the edge of the cot and holding Qrow's hand.

When he was gone, Clover caresses Qrow's scalding hot cheek, biting his lower lip in worry.

"Please hang in there, honey, just...hang on." Clover whispered.

Qrow squeezes Clover's hand weakly as he groans quietly. Clover was too busy worrying about his boyfriend's life to think about the fact that Qrow has been lying to him about who he is and what he does. Not that Clover would care anyway, he cares a lot about Qrow and knows that he feels the same way. The only important issue right now was saving Qrow's life, they can talk about the other stuff later. 

"It's done, the antidote is done!" Penny called out.

"Hurry! I don't think Qrow can hold on much longer!" Clover called back.

They give Qrow the antidote and his vitals begin to slowly improve. Everyone sighs in relief, glad that Qrow had not died. Next, Clover changes Qrow out of his suit and into some regular clothes, then he takes him to his apartment to rest. Pietro told Clover to keep a close eye on Qrow's fever and for him to call if anything goes wrong. Once he got him into bed, Clover lays next to Qrow and holds him in his arms. He buries his face into Qrow's hair and starts crying; the thought of losing Qrow was just too much for him to handle.