Fair Game: The Black Bird of Vale pt.1

A/N: Vigilante AU.

Clover Ebi had just moved to Vale, where he got a job as a journalist at the Daily Remnant. His new boss, Jane Johnson, assigned him the task of interviewing the elusive vigilante of the city, Harbinger.

"Um, ma'am, how am I supposed to even find him?" Clover asked her.

"Simple, you go out there onto the streets and look for him. He usually does his thing at night." Jane replied.

"But, ma'am, wouldn't that be dangerous?" Clover pointed out.

"Well, yeah, but that's a part of being a journalist. Sometimes you have to put yourself in tough situations in order to get the best story. Besides, with your muscles and military background, you should be able to take care of yourself should something happen." Jane told him.

"Now, go on. Go write up some questions to ask Harbinger." she added.

"Yes, ma'am." Clover nodded before leaving his boss's office.

He sits at his desk and gets some other work done before doing some research on Harbinger. All that the media knew about him was that he showed up ten years ago and has been protecting the city from thugs and gangsters ever since. No one know who he is, what he looks like, or why he does what he does. Clover's heard a lot of the vigilante, but he's never seen him. Looking at some photos, he saw that his outfit was mostly black and silver with a tattered dark red cape, and the mask looked like a crow. After work hours were over, Clover heads home to his apartment.

"Hey, roomie." Robyn Hill, Clover's roommate, greeted.

"Hi." Clover replied plopping onto the couch.

"How was work?" Robyn asked sitting next to him.

"My boss wants me to interview Harbinger." Clover answered.

"Really? But no one's ever gotten close to the guy. The only people who have are the criminals he beats up." Robyn said.

"Well, I'm the new guy, so I guess I got stuck with the task no one else wanted." Clover said.

"What about you, how was your day?" he asked.

"Ironically, my boss, Commissioner Schnee, wants me to catch Harbinger." Robyn replied.

Robyn is an officer of the Vale Police Department. Her boss is Commissioner Winter Schnee, who despises the vigilante, Harbinger. She wants nothing more than to lock him up and throw away the key.

"I don't even understand why she hates him so much! The guy catches bad guys and protects people just like the police does, sometimes better than we do." Robyn complained.

"Well, vigilantism is technically illegal. So, maybe that's the reason." Clover told her.

"Yeah, maybe." Robyn sighed.

"By the way, it's your turn to make dinner." she added.

"I'm too tired to cook, I'm just gonna order some pizza." Clover replied.

"Okay, works for me." Robyn shrugged.

Clover orders some pizza and afterwards he showers and heads to his bedroom. He chills in bed, texting his adopted sister, Punzie Gothel.

P: Heyy, how's everything in Vale?😊

C: Good.

P: I miss you.😞

C: Miss you too, Punz.

P: How are you doing, Clover? Are you sleeping well?

C: You worry too much.

P: Clover, that's not an answer to my question.

C: Punz, I'm fine.

P: Okay, if you say so, but...you haven't really been "fine" for the past two years. Not since whatever happened when you were stationed in Vacuo.

P: When are you going to tell me what happened?

C: When I'm good and ready.

P: Alright, well, it's getting late, good night.

C: Night.

Clover puts his phone down and sighs heavily. Punzie was right, he hadn't been the same since Vacuo. A terrible accident happened to him and his unit in that desert, that still haunts him to this day; an accident that Clover was the soul survivor of. The PTSD that came from this accident was what caused Clover to be discharged from the military. For the first few months after returning home, Clover hardly spoke and had nightmares every single night. When his physical health started to deteriorate, his family urged him to seek the help of a therapist. Now, Clover's breakdowns and nightmares are far less frequent, and he pretty much, for the most part, functions just as well as he's always have...though he's a lot more stoic than he used to be.

"I'm sorry I failed you guys." Clover mumbled before settling under the covers and falling asleep.

Meanwhile, the vigilante known as Harbinger slinks back into his lair a little sore and bruised, but hey, you should see the other guy. He takes off his mask and sets it on the table along with the various gadgets and weapons from his belt. Then he trudges over to his tech guy's desk and sits in the empty chair next to him.

"Tonight was a bit slow. You only thwarted two muggings and one carjacking." Pietro, Harbinger's tech guy, said.

"That's a good thing, I guess, less crime and all." Qrow, aka Harbinger, replied.

He gets up then goes behind a curtain and changes out of his suit and into his regular clothes.

"Let's lock up and head home." Qrow said.

After making sure the lair is secure, Qrow drives Pietro home then heads to his own apartment. When he gets home, he goes to his room, takes his pants, shoes, and jacket off, then flops onto his bed falling asleep in nothing but his shirt and boxers. Keeping up a double life is quite tiring for Qrow Branwen. Though, keeping his distance from most, even his loved ones, helps. Qrow doesn't mind having very little attachments, it makes the life he lives easier. If he's not close to people, he won't have to worry about possibly putting them in danger. And you can forget about romantic relationships; Qrow had decided a long time ago that love was not meant to be for him...love would only be a distraction and would lead to inevitable heartbreak.