Fair Game: Good Luck Isn't Always A Good Thing pt.2

Requested by: alannalh

It's been two weeks since Qrow was badly injured and became paralyzed. Today was the day that Qrow would be released from the hospital. A couple days ago, when the former huntsman was allowed to get out of bed, the second he was put in a wheelchair was when it really hit him...that he would be spending the rest of his life just...sitting. It also meant that he'll never stand, walk, run, or dance...he never knew how much he cared about the last one until he found out that he'll never do it again, forever. So, for the last few days, Qrow has been pretty depressed.

"Ready to get out of here, honey?" Clover asked coming into the room.

Qrow is brought out of his thoughts by Clover's voice. He looks up from staring at his lap and greets his boyfriend with a smile. Clover smiles back while walking over to Qrow, then he crouches and kisses him. Deep in the back of Qrow's mind...he hates that his boyfriend will forever have to crouch or bend down just to kiss him. But he'll never voice this, cause he doesn't want to upset Clover. He had finally gotten him to stop blaming himself for what happened, he's not gonna make him feel guilty all over again. Though, most days, Qrow can still see a hint of guilt in Clover's eyes.

"I'm so done with this place, take me home." Qrow said as Clover stood back up.

Clover takes Qrow to the academy and into their shared room.

"Do you wanna go see Ruby and Yang? They've really missed you." Clover asked.

"Later...right now, I just want a show--...I mean, bath...*sigh*." Qrow replied, his voice low and quiet.

He mentally adds shower to the list of things he no longer can do. Realizing that the list keeps growing makes the man even more depressed.

"Okay, honey." Clover said pressing a kiss to Qrow's head.

The Ace Op scoops his boyfriend into his arms and carries him to the bathroom. He sets him on the toilet and gets the bath water started. Once it's at the perfect temperature, Clover goes to help Qrow out of his clothes.

"I can take my shirt off myself." Qrow grumbled when Clover tried to pull his shirt off.

Clover takes his hands away, letting Qrow do it himself. Then, he helps him out of the rest of his clothing. Not being able to feel the warmth or wetness of the water on his legs makes Qrow nearly want to scream in frustration. How is he ever going to get used to living like this?

"Want me to wash your hair?" Clover asked grabbing the shampoo bottle.

"No! I can do that myself. My arms still. F**king. Work!" Qrow snapped at him.

Clover was a little...taken aback by his boyfriend's outburst. Though, he wasn't surprised either; he's going through a very traumatic experience, of course he's going to be snappy. He knew that Qrow would want to desperately cling onto the things he was still able to do for himself. So, without saying anything, Clover hands Qrow the shampoo bottle and then sits on the floor next to the tub.

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have talked to you that way." Qrow apologized.

"It's okay." Clover said with a forced smile.

"It's not okay. You're just taking care of me, like you promised, and here I am yelling at you." Qrow replied with remorse.

"Really, Qrow, it's fine." Clover insisted.

After the bath, Clover helps Qrow dry off and get into fresh clothes.

"Bed or chair?" Clover asked, holding Qrow bridal-style in his arms.

"Bed...I'm tired. Wanna take a nap." Qrow mumbled, still mad at himself for snapping at his boyfriend.

"You know what, a nap does sound pretty good right now." Clover said laying Qrow on the bed, then settling in next to him.

He tries, but Qrow can't seem to fall asleep. He couldn't stop thinking of the many many things he can no longer do for himself. He also felt completely useless...being a huntsman was one of the things that made him who he was. Who will he be now that he's not a huntsman anymore? Qrow thought he was strong enough to cope with this...but things like that are easier said than done.

"Clover...you awake?" Qrow asked softly.

His boyfriend doesn't respond, he's dead asleep nuzzled in the crook of his neck. Qrow is desperate to talk to someone about what he's going through, but he can't think of anyone who would understand. That's when he remembers that there is someone...one single person who would completely understand exactly what he's going through. He leans over the side of the bed and pulls his wheelchair towards him. Then he gently unwraps Clover's arms from around him, trying not to wake him. It was difficult, but he managed to get himself in the wheelchair and leave the room. He makes his way to Pietro's lab.

"Hello? Is anyone in here?" Qrow said entering the lab.

"Yeah, I'm here...oh, hello, Qrow." replied Pietro.

"You know, when I heard about what happened to you, I figured you'd come see me sooner or later. Let me guess, you want to ask me how I coped with being paralyzed?" he added speaking softly.

"Yes, please. I'm falling apart." Qrow pleaded.

Pietro moves over to Qrow and puts his hand on his shoulder.

"I was quite young when I lost the ability to walk. And like you, I was a mess, I didn't know how I was going to go on. I didn't know how to cope. But I did...by relying on my friends and family for support. I didn't push them away, no matter how much I wanted to." Pietro told him.

"How can I stop feeling so...?" Qrow asked the old man.

"Useless? Weak? Helpless?" answered Pietro, finishing Qrow's thought.

Qrow nods, his eyes wide and pleading.

"You just gotta tell yourself that none of that is true. That you're still the same man on the inside. Sure things will be different, but that doesn't mean you're helpless." said Pietro.

He gives Qrow a reassuring squeeze of his shoulder and a warm, sympathetic smile.

"Trust me, things will get better. I promise." Pietro assures him.

"Thanks...for listening. I really needed that." Qrow said, relaxing his tense shoulders.

"If you want, I could make you a fancy chair like mine." offered Pietro.

"Nah, I'm good. A chair like yours would be too big and clunky for me." Qrow declined.

"Qrow! Qrow where are you?!" Clover called out from the hallway.

Clover pokes his head into the lab and sighs in relief when he sees Qrow. He comes in and gives his boyfriend a tight hug.

"Why did you leave like that? I got worried when I woke up and you weren't there." Clover asked cupping Qrow's face.

"I'm sorry. I just needed to talk to someone about this. I'm also sorry for snapping at you and pushing you away." Qrow replied putting his hands over Clover's.

The atleasian soldier leans forward and kisses his boyfriend. Then the couple goes back to their room. Once inside, Clover sits on his knees in front of Qrow, wraps his arms around his waist, and lays his head on his lap.

"Sorry if I am smothering you. I'm just trying...I'm just trying to help. I love you...it hurts me to see you hurting." Clover said voice full of emotion.

"Babe...please...for the love of the gods, stop blaming yourself. And don't say you aren't, I know you are, I can see it in your eyes." Qrow said rubbing the back of Clover's head.

"We just gotta keep moving forward, that's the only way we're going to get through this. And I love you too." he added using his other hand to rub Clover's back.

Qrow and Clover stay like that for a long while, comforting each other. Within a few months, Qrow was able to come to terms with his situation, and live his life to the fullest...with Clover right at his side.