Fair Game: Fever Dreams

Qrow knew the moment he woke up that he was sick. His bones and muscles ached, his chest was congested, his nose was completely blocked, and he had terrible chills. He reaches out for his favorite source of comfort...but the space next to him on the bed was empty.

"Clover?" Qrow called out, voice hoarse and sore.

There was no response, only silence.

"Clooooverrrrrr!" Qrow groaned.

Still no response...where the heck is Clover? Did he leave early in the morning without saying goodbye? Qrow presses his face into his pillow and coughs into it. Then he whines and whimpers cause he is just so uncomfortable and miserable.

"Clover, where are you? I need you!" Qrow coughed.

As if on cue, Qrow's scroll rings...a little too loudly to his growing headache. He grabs his scroll off the bedside table and answers it.

"Hello?" Qrow said.

"Hey, honey...you probably noticed that I'm not there." Clover said.

"Where'd you go?" Qrow asked.

"Ace Op stuff, I should be back by the afternoon. Hey, you're not sounding so great, are you okay?" Clover replied.

"No...I'm not okay...I'm sick. I feel absolutely awful. If it's not too much trouble...do you think you can let the other Ace Ops handle this and come here and take care of me?" Qrow said before sneezing loudly.

"Qrow, honey, it's no trouble at all. I'll be there as soon as I can." Clover told him.

"Thanks, babe. I think I'm gonna go back to sleep...I can't keep my eyes open." Qrow yawned and coughed.

"Yeah, you go ahead and rest. See you soon." Clover said before ending the call.

Qrow lays his scroll on the bed next to his pillow and wraps the blankets around himself tightly. He quickly falls into a fitfull sleep.

Qrow was surrounded by nothing but darkness. He was trapped in a dark, black abyss.

"Hello!? Is anyone here!?" Qrow shouted.

The only thing he heard was his own voice echoing. The entire situation put the huntsman on edge. He sensed danger but he couldn't see or hear any danger, which only made him even more nervous. Qrow walks around searching for something...anything. Suddenly a mirror appears in front of him. In the mirror, he saw himself...but it was a frighteningly grotesque Grimm-like version of himself. The thing in the mirror also had an extremely sickening alcohol scent to it...while also holding an empty liquor bottle.

"What the actual f**k!?!" Qrow said confused and terrified.

To Qrow's horror, the creature slowly steps out of the mirror. It breaks the bottle it has against the mirror's frame and attacks Qrow with it. Unfortunately, the mirror creature is much much stronger than Qrow and ends up stabbing him in the stomach with the broken bottle. He barely manages to push the creature off of him and run away clutching his bleeding stomach. Just when Qrow thought he was safe, the mirror creature appears in front of him, then tackles him to the ground and starts stranggling him.

"H-HELP...*COUGH*...SOMEONE HELP...*GASP*...PLEASE!" Qrow choked out in desperation.

The creature's grip on Qrow's throat tightens, further constricting his ability to breathe. Poor Qrow was terrified beyond belief...he was convinced he was going to die.

"Clover...*cough**gasp*...help me." Qrow tried to scream, but the lack of oxygen caused his voice to be barely audible.

Qrow tries to call out for his boyfriend again, but he couldn't make a single sound cause he couldn't breathe.

Right then, Qrow wakes up gasping and coughing harshly. He felt someone lift him into a sitting position and pat his back. He looks at whoever was holding him up and sees his loving boyfriend.

"Clover..." Qrow smiled weakly.

"Oh, honey, thank the gods you're finally awake. I was so worried. I came home and you were asleep, but you were squirming and writhing around on the bed having a nightmare. I-I tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't wake up...a-and you were burning up. Just before you woke up...y-you stopped breathing. Gods it scared me to death." Clover replied holding Qrow and kissing him all over.

"I'm gonna check your temperature, your skin feels like it's on fire." he added grabbing the nearby thermometer.

Qrow is so out of it that he barely registers the thermometer being placed in his mouth; or when it's taken out of his mouth after it beeps.

"104!?! I need to take you to the infirmary." Clover said freaking out.

"No...don't wanna move...just wanna lay down." Qrow said leaning heavily against Clover.

"Okay, fine. But if I can't get your fever to go down, I'm taking you to the infirmary, no arguments." Clover sighed caressing Qrow's cheek and kissing his burning forehead.

Clover gives Qrow another pillow so that he's not laying down flat. Then he tucks him in and lays a cool cloth on his head.

"What was the dream about, honey? You seemed really frightened." Clover asked gently stroking Qrow's head.

"Gods, it was freaky as f**k, babe. Unlike anything I've ever seen. What does it mean when you dream about a Grimm version of yourself killing you?" Qrow replied leaning into his boyfriend's touch.

"I'm not sure, honey. Fever dreams just...don't make any sense, I guess." Clover said.

"Can you lay with me and hold me while I sleep so I won't have that dream again?" Qrow pleaded with glassy, feverish eyes.

"Okay, hun. Right after you take some medicine, I'll lay with you." Clover nodded.

After giving his boyfriend some medicine, Clover gets under the covers and holds him. He doesn't care that Qrow is all hot, sweaty, and snotty; he holds him and lets him snore and cough into his shirt as he rakes his fingers through his...albeit, kinda greasy and sticky with sweat...hair. Before Qrow falls into a deep sleep, Clover presses a soft kiss to his forehead.