Fair Game: Birdflu

Qrow and Clover were at Clover's parents' house for the week, visiting. Today; Clover, Qrow, and Trevor were supposed to go fishing, but that morning Qrow had woken up sick as a dog. He had all the symptoms of the flu: stuffy nose and cough, congestion, aches and chills, and a fever. Clover suggested that the plans should be cancelled, but Qrow refused to let him.

"Are you sure about this, honey?" Clover asked, sitting on the edge of the bed next to Qrow.

"Yes. Go. Go spend time with your dad. I'll be fine here." Qrow replied, his voice hoarse from coughing.

"*sigh* Well, okay." Clover relented.

He presses a kiss to his boyfriend's forehead, then says goodbye and leaves the room.

"Don't worry, baby, I'll look after him." Joanna assured her son.

"Thanks, Mom." Clover said hugging her.

"Check his temperature, he's really warm." he added.

Joanna nods then goes up to the room, where Qrow is sleeping restlessly. She walks over to him and places the back of her hand to his forehead. Clover was right, he was very warm.

"Joanna?..." Qrow said stirring awake.

"Hey, sweetie, how are you feeling?" Joanna asked brushing back his bangs.

"Uhhhg." Qrow groaned.

"That bad, huh?" asked Joanna.

Qrow nods, coughing into the crook of his arm. Joanna gets the thermometer and takes Qrow's temperature.

"Hmm, 102.4, that's quite a fever. No wonder you feel so miserable." Joanna said, looking at the thermometer's results.

"You sit tight, and I'll go get you some medicine." she added kissing his forehead.

She gives Qrow a fever reducer and cold/flu medicine. Then she rubs vapor rub on his chest.

"What are you doing?" Qrow asked when Joanna grabs his foot.

"Putting vapor rub on your feet to help your cough." answered Joanna.

"What?" Qrow said completely confused.

"Look, I know it sounds strange, but trust me, it works. It's always worked with Clover." Joanna explained chuckling.

She starts to rub the stuff onto Qrow's foot, making him jerk a bit.

"Qrow, are you ticklish?" Joanna laughed.

"No...it's just...that stuff's cold." replied Qrow.

When Joanna's done putting the rub on Qrow's feet, she puts fuzzy green socks on his feet. She tucks the blankets around him and kisses his head. While Qrow was sleeping, Joanna makes homemade chicken soup. She's setting the soup to a low simmer when she hears the faint sound of distressed whimpering. She goes to check on Qrow, and finds him thrashing in his sleep, soaking the sheets in sweat.

"Oh, you poor thing." Joanna said rushing to his side.

She gently wakes him up and holds him as he tries to calm down.

"Shhh, it's okay, it was just a dream, sweetie." Joanna soothed petting Qrow's head.

Joanna wipes the tears off his face and feels his forehead.

"Oh dear, sweetie, you're burning." Joanna said worriedly.

The retired huntress fetches a wet cloth and places it on Qrow's head. Then she sits on the bed with her back against the headboard and holds Qrow in her arms.

"Go back to sleep, sweetie." Joanna told him.

"I...*cough*...can't." Qrow whimpered.

Joanna figured that Qrow would have a hard time falling asleep after a nightmare like that, and with how sick he was. So, she decided to do what she always did when she took care of Clover as a kid.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night.
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of a dark black night.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly.
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
You were only waiting for this moment to arise." Joanna sang.

By the end of the song, Qrow was dead asleep. Joanna holds him for a little while longer, just to make sure he doesn't have another nightmare. After Qrow sleeps for a couple hours, Joanna has him eat the soup she made him. When Clover and Trevor came back, Qrow was feeling a lot better.