Fair Game: A Familiar Magic Between Us pt.2

A/N: Magic AU.

The orientation for the first years was...a bit boring. It was just the headmaster talking and talking and so on. Afterwards, the students were given their schedules and their dorm room assignments. Each dorm room has five bedrooms, a bathroom, and a small living room with a kitchenette.

"Yay! We're in the same dorm room, Clover!" Punzie cheered.

"Awesome!" Clover said high-fiveing his friend.

"Wonder who our other dormmates are?" Punzie said.

"Let's head to our dorm and find out." Clover replied.

When Clover and Punzie get to their dorm room, their dormmates were already there. There was a tall girl with dark tan skin, a girl with short blonde hair, and a pale thin guy.

"Hi, everyone, I'm Punzie Gothel. And this is Clover Ebi." Punzie said introducing herself and Clover to their dormmates.

"Elm Ederne." said the tall girl.

"Rose Aurora." said the blonde girl.

"Vine Zeki." said the pale guy.

The five of them settle into their bedrooms; which has a bed, a dresser, and a desk. Then they all sit around the living room getting to know each other. They had a lot of classes together, so they agreed to help each other study.

"I can't wait to get my familiar." Punzie said.

"I hope mine is really cool." Elm said.

"Come on, guys, let's head to the dining hall for dinner." Clover said heading towards the door.

In the dining hall, they all sit at the same table. Clover and Punzie were having a conversation when a glob of mashed potatoes hits Clover in the back of the head. Everyone at Clover's table starts laughing hysterically.

"It's not funny, guys." Clover said pouting.

"You're right, it's not funny...it's hilarious!" Elm replied.

While Clover was trying to get all of the mashed potatoes out of his hair, a girl with a ponytail came over to the table.

"Dude, I'm so sorry, my friend was trying to throw that at me, but I ducked." the girl told Clover.

"Tell your friend to keep their food on their plate." Clover said.

"I'll do that. Again, sorry about the mashed potatoes. Oh, by the way, I'm Robyn Hill." replied the girl.

"I'm Clover Ebi; these are my dormmates, Punzie Gothel, Rose Aurora, Elm Ederne, and Vine Zeki." Clover told Robyn.

"Nice to meet you all, see you in class tomorrow." Robyn said before walking back to her table.

When dinner was over, all the students return to their dorms for the night. The next day, they get dressed into their school uniforms and head to the dining hall for breakfast. Afterwards, the students head to their classes. Clover, luckily, shared each class with his dormmates.

"Don't you think our Protection From Malevolent Forces professor is kinda handsome? I mean, yeah, he is a bit uptight and fourteen years older than us, but he's still nice to look at. It's definitely the beard, the beard is his best feature." Punzie whispered to Clover.

"Hmmm...kinda." Clover shrugged.

"Excuse me, but I'm in the middle of teaching, so why do I hear whispering?" the professor said sternly.

He walks over to where Clover and Punzie were sitting and stands there with his arms folded.

"Now...what was so important that it couldn't wait until after class?" the professor asked.

"Ummm...we were just...talking about what our familiars might be." Punzie answered timidly.

"Is this true?" the professor asked Clover.

"Yes, Professor Ironwood, sir. We were talking about familiars, nothing else." Clover told him.

"Be patient, you two, you'll get your familiars at the end of the day. Now, please, no more talking while I'm talking." Professor Ironwood said.

"Yes, sir." Clover and Punzie nodded.

Professor Ironwood continues teaching, and Clover and Punzie waited until after class to talk, so they won't get in trouble again. After class, the two finish their discussion from earlier.

"Okay, forget the fact that he's a little good-looking, that guy's a jerk." Punzie muttered.

"Yeah, he's strict." Clover agreed.

At the end of the day, all the first years gather in the gym to receive their randomly assigned familiars. When a student is given their familiar, they immediately head back to their dorm to get their familiar settled in. Clover is the last to receive his familiar, which is a black crow.

"He looks...older. I thought familiars were supposed to be the same age as their assigned witch or wizard?" Clover asked curious.

"Well, in most cases, yes. But, Qrow here, lost his original witch eight years ago." said the teacher handing out familiars.

"Oh, that's...sad." Clover said frowning sympathetically at the bird on his shoulder.

"Anyways, he was given some time to grieve, and now it's time for him to be reassigned." the teacher explained.

"So, expect him to be...a bit challenging. He was really close with his original witch, it'll probably take him a while to get used to having a new noble." she added.

"Okay. That's understandable." Clover said before heading back to his dorm.

The second he enters the dorm, Punzie runs up to Clover.

"Clover, look! My familiar is a cute little chameleon, his name is Pascal." Punzie said excitedly.

"Mine's a cat, his name is Phillip." Rose said.

"I have a dog named Marrow." Elm said.

"I have a rabbit...her name is Hariet." Vine said.

"Cool...this is mine; he's a crow named...Qrow, which is spelled with a "Q" by the way." Clover told them.

"Aww, he's so pretty." Punzie cooed.

"I'm gonna go show him my room, then afterwards we'll all head to the dining hall for dinner." Clover said walking towards his room.

Clover enters his room and closes the door behind him.

"So...this is my room...I'll, uh, get you a perch for you to sit on tomorrow. For tonight, you could, umm, do whatever makes you comfortable." Clover told Qrow showing him the room.

A few minutes of awkward silence passed.

"Okaayy...let's just go ahead and go get dinner." Clover said nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

At dinner, Clover noticed that Qrow didn't really eat that much, but he just figured that he probably wasn't all that hungry. Later that night, Qrow sat perched on the headboard of Clover's bed. He looked down at the young man, with an emotionless expression.

"Don't get attached. If you get attached, you get distracted...and when you get distracted, people die. So, just do your d*mn job." Qrow thought to himself.

Qrow doesn't want to get too close to his current noble. He doesn't want to get hurt if he fails and ends up getting his noble killed. He doesn't want to experience the same heartache that his last noble's death caused. So, he vowed not to get emotionally attached to this young man. Though, little does he know, that trying not to get attached to Clover Ebi would be much harder than he anticipated.

A/N: Sorry this took a while to update. I've had the WORST writers block, ever. Also, the weather's been like the inside of an oven where I live and it's hard to concentrate when the outside temperature is causing the inside of your house to be 80 DEGREES even though the air conditioner is set to 68. The weather in Georgia, during summer, is THE WORST! Btw, a "Noble" is what a familiar calls their master.