Fair Game: Some Dads Are Good, Some Aren't, But You're The Best

A/N: I've realized that I haven't really had any interactions between Qrow and Clover's dad. So, I decided to write this.

Requested by: alannalh.

Qrow gets a call from Clover's dad, Trevor, asking for some help with something. He specifically asked for Qrow. Which confused the huntsman. Why would he ask for him and not his son? Qrow walks into the house and finds Trevor in the garage, working on the car.

"Hi, Qrow." Trevor said.

"Hey. So...what do you need help with?" Qrow asked.

"Well, actually, I don't really need help with anything. Joanna's out of town visiting a friend, which leaves me here all by myself and bored." Trevor admitted.

"Oh...so, why didn't you just call Clover? Not that I don't want to be here, its just that I'm curious." Qrow asked nervously.

"For one; Clover has been busy with his military work recently. Also, I just wanted to spend some time with you. We haven't had any one on one time, and I would like to get to know the man who's dating my one and only son." replied Trevor.

"So, get your butt over here and help me change the oil in this car." he added waving Qrow over.

With a shy smile, Qrow walks over to where Trevor is standing over the engine of the car.

"I...uh...don't know how to do something like that." Qrow said looking at the engine.

"It's easier than changing the oil to an airship, trust me." Trevor chuckled.

Trevor shows Qrow step-by-step how to change the oil to a car.

"Ya know you could've just brought the car to an autoshop to get the oil changed." Qrow told Trevor.

"And waste a bunch of lien? I don't think so!" Trevor laughed.

He goes to the kitchen and returns with a soda for him and Qrow.

"Hey, ummm, can I ask you something?" Qrow said, absent mindedly tapping his fingers on the can.

"Sure, Qrow." Trevor said, leaning against the car.

"....Am I...a bad person if I'm jealous of my boyfriend's childhood?" Qrow asked looking at his feet.

"Qrow, son, you're not a bad person just because you wished your past was different. Clover hasn't told me much, but I know you didn't have the easiest life; it's understandable to be a little bit envious." Trevor answered putting his hand on Qrow's shoulder.

"It's just that...growing up, I didn't really have any parents. The closest thing I had to a father was the leader of the Branwen tribe...and he wasn't...the best. He beat me, berated me, and just generally abused me." Qrow explained.

"My father abused me too, so I know how you feel." Trevor sighed.

Qrow looks at Trevor shocked.

"My mother died giving birth to me, and my father blamed me for it. So, for most of my life, my father treated me just like your "father" did. He was the reason I joined the military. I joined so that I could get away from him. I hated him...when he died, it felt like I was told a stranger had died, I felt nothing." Trevor said explaining his childhood.

"And Joanna, she never even met her father. From the time she was three to when she was ten, she had somehow convinced herself that she never even had a father in the first place. She thought that her mother had formed her from clay and that the god of light had brought her to life. On her tenth birthday, she learned the truth; that her father abandoned her mother the second he found out she was pregnant." he added, clenching his fists.

"Wow...that's...awful." replied Qrow, frowning sadly.

"It is...and the worst part is that it really affected Joanna. When she got pregnant with Clover, it took her two months to tell me because she thought I was going leave her like her father did." Trevor said.

"Were you...scared...when Clover was born? Scared that you were going to end up like your father?" Qrow asked.

"No. The second I held him in my arms, I swore that I would do everything in my power to be the best father I could be. I would make sure that he felt loved and safe." replied Trevor, emotion deep in his voice.

"Well, you did a very good job. Clover's always talking about how great parents you are. And, of course, I appreciate the way you guys treat me." Qrow said, patting Trevor's back.

"You're like...the best dad." he added.

"Thanks, son." Trevor said hugging Qrow.

Qrow hugs back, smiling.

"You're a good man, Qrow. I know that you and Clover are going to make great fathers one day. That kid is going to be the luckiest kid ever." Trevor told Qrow.

For the rest of the day, Qrow and Trevor hung out, doing father/son activities.