Fair Game: Sickness and Helplessness

Requested by: Jenni_thewolffaunus

Qrow and Clover were out in the forests of Anima on a mission. The mission seemed to be going well, except that something wasn't right with Clover. He was a lot slower than usual, and he looked tired and out of it. When he started to develop a heavy, wet cough was when Qrow started to really worry.

"Babe, are you okay? That cough doesn't sound so good." Qrow asked his boyfriend.

"I'm fine, Qrow don't worry about me." Clover replied.

"That's impossible, I worry about pretty much everything." Qrow said.

As the day went on, Qrow increasingly became more and more worried about his boyfriend. While they were setting up camp for the night, Qrow noticed that Clover was very pale, paler than even him...and Qrow is quite pale, naturally. He also saw him shiver a lot, he almost never shivers, cause he's almost never cold.

"I think I'll turn in early, I'm kinda tired." Clover said, his voice turning raspy.

"I'll join you, I'm tired as well." Qrow said settling into the sleeping bag with Clover.

Clover falls asleep first and Qrow watches him for a bit before falling asleep himself. At around two in the morning, Qrow wakes up to a very uncomfortable amount of heat inside the sleeping bag. It took him a minute to realize that the heat was coming from Clover. He immediately sits up and feels Clover's forehead. Clover whimpers and groans weakly, then leans into Qrow's touch.

"Oh no...he's burning up." Qrow whispered to himself.

Qrow gets out of the sleeping bag and rushes to get the first aid kit out of their supply bag, and an extra blanket. Rummaging through the first aid kit, the only thing Qrow could find for this situation was a thermometer and medication that treats pain and fever; the rest of the contents were for treating injuries, not illness. He props Clover up against his chest and sticks the thermometer in his mouth. His temperature was 102.6, which confirmed all of Qrow's worries...that Clover was sick. Qrow lays Clover back down then grabs the extra blanket and folds it up, placing it under Clover's head to prop him up a little. He didn't want to use the blanket to cover Clover with, because that would just increase his temperature and Qrow didn't want that.

"Babe, wake up please." Qrow said, shaking Clover gently.

"*COUGH**COUGH*....Qrow?" Clover said somewhat awake.

He then has a very painful coughing fit. When he was done, it took him a few minutes to catch his breath.

"Qrow...I....I feel really bad." Clover whined, his voice so hoarse it was nearly inaudible.

"I know, babe. Besides your throat, what else hurts?" Qrow said petting Clover's head.

"Everything...e-everything hurts." Clover replied, crying.

"Shhh, baby, everything's going to be okay. I'll take care of you, you'll be fine." Qrow said trying to soothe his boyfriend the best he can.

Qrow gets the medicine bottle and takes out two pills.

"Here, Clover, take these. It'll help with your body aches and fever." Qrow told him as he helped him sit up a little.

Clover takes the medicine with some water Qrow gave him and is laid back down. Qrow holds Clover's hand with one hand while the other sifts through Clover's short brown hair.

"I'm sorry." Clover said.

"About what, babe?" Qrow asked.

"Shoulda said something....sorry I didn't." Clover replied barely conscious.

"It's fine, babe. I would've done the same thing. Guess we're both stubborn b*stards, huh?" Qrow said rubbing Clover's knuckles with his thumb.

"Ha, yeah..." Clover chuckled weakly, eyes drooping.

"Rest, Clover." Qrow told him, kissing his forehead...not happy with the clammy heat that came off of it.

Clover nods as sleep overtakes him. Qrow watches as Clover's chest rises and falls with each labored, wheezy breath. He uses the end of his cape to wipe the sweat off of his boyfriend's brow.

"What am I gonna do?" Qrow said to himself worriedly.

The two were in a tough situation; Clover was very ill and in no condition to travel, there's no villages with doctors anywhere near by, there's very little supplies for treating illness in the first aid kit, and there's no reception to make a call for help. All Qrow could really do was sit by Clover's side and keep an eye on him. At some point, Qrow nods off and wakes back up when the sun is up. The first thing he does is check Clover's temperature. It was 103.4, his fever didn't go down...it got worse.

"Q-Qrow...." Clover whimpered.

"What is it, babe? What do you need?" Qrow asked caressing Clover's cheek.

"...thirsty..." Clover mumbled, eyes half closed, all red and glossy.

After he helps Clover drink some water and take more medicine, Qrow tries to think of something to do to help the man he loves. He comes up with an idea that might not work, but it was worth a try. When Qrow goes to stand, Clover's hand shoots up and grabs his wrist.

"Don't....d-don't go...please." Clover begged, delirious from fever.

"Babe, I'm just going to go to the top of that tree there to see if I can get any reception to call for help. I'll be right back, I promise." Qrow assured him.

Qrow's words didn't seem to register to Clover's fever ridden mind, cause he still clung tightly to Qrow's arm, begging and pleading for him to stay. The thought broke Qrow's heart to pieces, but he knew he had to pry himself away from Clover if he was going to have any chance at helping him.

"Qrow, nooooo, don't go! Please come back, please!" Clover sobbed as Qrow walked towards a very tall tree.

As Qrow flew up in his bird form, he heard a series of, "come back!" and "don't go!" and Clover crying out his name, sounding extremely distraught and desperate. Hearing Clover sound like that was like a punch to the gut, but Qrow kept going. Once at the top, he turns back to human and clings tightly to the tree. He pulls out his scroll and checks the signal. Qrow was relieved to see he had two bars of signal on his scroll. Instantly, he calls for an emergency extraction and then flies back down to the ground where Clover is a sobbing mess.

"Oh, babe!" Qrow said running over to Clover.

He takes Clover into his arms and holds him against his chest. Clover continues to cry as he buries his face into Qrow's shirt. His cries turn into harsh coughs that leave him gasping for air. Qrow pats and rubs Clover's back until he was able to breathe better.

"I...I thought you...a-abandoned me." Clover said leaning heavily against Qrow, unable to support himself.

"Clover, don't you ever think of something so f**king stupid, I'll never abandon you, never." Qrow replied pressing his face into Clover's hair.

"I told you I'd come back." he said kissing the top of his boyfriend's head.

Qrow holds Clover in his arms until help came, which was at around midnight, when Clover's fever got ridiculously high, scaring him sh*tless. Two days later, Clover wakes up, clear headed, in the hospital with Qrow sitting at his bedside.

"How are you feeling?" Qrow asked.

"Better...mostly." Clover replied.

"Good. I was so worried about you. There were a couple times where I thought you were gonna die." Qrow said hugging Clover, his voice cracking with emotion.

Even though his limbs felt so weak and heavy, Clover forced his arms to move so he could hug his boyfriend back.

"I'm okay now, Qrow. And it's all because you took care of me. Thank you, I love you, honey." Clover said nuzzling into the crook of Qrow's neck.

"I love you too, babe." Qrow said kissing his boyfriend on the lips, not really caring that it could make him sick.

Qrow climbs into the bed with Clover and cuddles with him for the remainder of the day.