Fair Game: A Familiar Magic Between Us pt.4

A/N: Magic AU.

Clover was crying, Qrow had just completely shattered his heart. He told him that he wasn't his friend, that he didn't even care about Clover.

"I'm going back to my room, don't follow me, I don't want to see your godd*mn face right now." Clover said turning and walking away.

"What about the rest of your classes?" Qrow replied.

"I don't give a d*mn, and don't talk to me!" Clover shouted.

After school, Punzie and the others find Clover in his room, just laying in bed, his face buried in his pillow.

"Clover, are you okay? You weren't in the last four classes, are you feeling sick or something?" Punzie asked.

"Leave me alone, I want to be alone." Clover replied, voice muffled by the pillow.

Punzie has everyone, including her familiar, leave the room. She walks over to the bed and sits cross legged on it.

"Clover, you know you can tell me anything, I'm your best friend." Punzie said gently rubbing Clover's back.

Clover shifts onto his side, facing Punzie. His face was covered in tear stains and he sniffed and rubbed his nose. Then he explains everything that happened between him and Qrow.

"Oh, Clover, I'm sorry." Punzie said petting Clover's head.

To comfort her friend, Punzie pulls Clover onto her lap and holds him. At dinner, Punzie, with Elm's help, drags Clover out of his room and to the dining hall.

"Clover, stop picking at your food and eat it." Punzie scolded.

"What's wrong with Clover?" Rose asked.

"Some...dummy...broke his heart." Punzie explained.

"What's his name, I'll beat him up!" Elm said cracking her knuckles.

"Thank you, Elm, but you don't have to do that. I'll be fine, I'm not gonna let some dumba** make a fool out of me." Clover said.

When Clover gets back to his bedroom, Qrow is sitting outside the window. He opens the window and lets Qrow in.

"Don't bother turning into a human for a while." Clover told his familiar.

He gets under the covers and goes to sleep. Qrow turns into a human and crouches beside Clover's bed.

"I'm sorry I hurt you. If there was a way for me to push you away without hurting you, I would've done it. I just...can't allow myself to care about you. Hopefully you'll understand one day." Qrow whispered.

He turns back into a bird and flies over to his perch and goes to sleep. For weeks, things are silent between the young wizard and his familiar. Now the only time they talk is when it comes to magic and school. Two months later, Qrow falls terribly ill and Clover, despite things still being tense between them, nurses him back to health. During Qrow's illness, he was too weak to transform, so Clover had to cradle the small bird in his arms as he gave him medicine and water through an eyedropper into his beak. When Qrow got better, he thanked Clover, who merely said, "you're welcome.", then things went back to them only talking to each other when necessary. The first dance of the school year was coming up and all the students were very excited.

"Hey, Clover, does this dress look good on me?" Punzie asked stepping out of the changing room in a lilac purple dress.

Those two, along with their dormmates, all went into town to get suits and dresses for the dance.

"Beautiful as always." Clover said.

"Awww, Clover, you charmer." Punzie giggled.

"Hey, guys, which dress should I get?" Rose asked everyone, holding up a pink dress and a blue dress.

Elm and Vine suggested the pink dress while Punzie and Clover suggested the blue one.

"Wow, guys, thanks for the help. Now I know exactly which dress to buy." Rose said sarcastically.

Rose ends up getting a green dress, Elm wasn't a dressy type of girl so she got herself a nice suit like Clover and Vine. On the night of the dance, Clover helps the girls with their hair because, thanks to his mother, he's a bit of a hair-braiding expert. Once everyone was ready, there was a knock at the door.

"Oooh, that must be Gene, my date." Punzie lightly squealed.

She scurries over to the door and answers it. On the other side was Gene Ryder, Punzie's date; and next to him was Rose's date. Gene slips a corsage onto Punzie's wrist then gently kisses her hand like a gentleman.

"Hey, Ryder, you better keep up that gentleman behavior, cause if I hear anything about you not treating Punz like the lady she is, I'll crack your head open like a walnut." Elm told Gene.

"I agree with Elm, you're dead meat if you try anything funny." Clover added.

"You got a good set of friends there, Punzie." Gene chuckled.

"Yeah, they're great. Come on, let's go!" Punzie replied before grabbing Gene's arm and dragging him out the door.

At the dance, it was just students, no familiars. While everyone was dancing and having fun, Clover stood shyly to the sidelines. He was the only one in his friend group that didn't have a date to the dance.

"Hey, do you wanna dance?" someone asked from beside Clover.

Clover looks at the person talking to him. He was clearly an upperclassman; he had shoulder-length auburn hair, dark indigo eyes, and was quite tall and lanky.

"Are you asking me?" Clover asked.

"Mhm." the upperclassman nodded.

"....Sure, I guess." Clover said holding out his hand to the upperclassman.

"I'm Clover Ebi." he told him.

"Arvel Hawkins." replied the upperclassman, taking Clover's hand.

They walk out onto the dance floor; Arvel placing his free hand on Clover's waist, Clover placing his free hand on Arvel's shoulder. Arvel and Clover started a light conversation as they began to sway along to the music.

"So, why's a handsome guy like you standing on the sidelines all by himself?" Arvel asked.

"No one asked me." Clover answered.

"I find it hard to believe no one has snatched you up yet." Arvel said.

"Does that mean I have a chance?" he asked pulling Clover closer.

"Keep flattering me and you just might." Clover said blushing a little.

"So...do you wanna maybe...go out some time, just you and me?" Arvel asked giving Clover a gentle smile.

Clover hesitated to answer Arvel's question. He didn't want to risk getting his heart broken again. But at the same time, he didn't want to mope around forever. Arvel did seem very nice, and handsome too. Maybe he won't hurt Clover like Qrow did.

"Okay." Clover said smiling back at Arvel.

The young man decided that he had been pouting over the man who broke his heart for long enough. It was time for him to move on. But...can he move on? Well, he won't know if he doesn't try.