Fair Game: Sweet As Roses

Requested by: alannalh

Long ago at a Vital Festival in Mistral...

Qrow, Summer, Tai, and baby-Yang are in Mistral for the Vital Festival. A year ago, Raven had abandoned her team, leaving behind an infant girl. Her abandonment hurt Qrow the most, he started to become a little more closed off than usual, and he also developed a small drinking habit; of which Summer was a bit worried would escalate if she didn't try to help him. Not long after Raven had left, Summer and Tai got married; which, to Qrow, was just rubbing salt in the wound because he was very much in love with Summer, but it obviously seemed she didn't feel the same way. Qrow and Tai didn't really want to come to the festival, but Summer practically forced them to, saying it would be good for all of them to spend some quality time together and have fun. Right now, they're all eating lunch at the fair grounds.

"Another fight's about to start, lets go watch it." said Summer.

"I'm gonna pass, Yang's being fussy...and needs a diaper change." Tai replied.

He walks off towards the restrooms carrying a crying baby girl.

"Come on, Qrow, it's team CPPR(copper) of Atlas Academy vs team DMND(diamond) of Shade Academy." Summer said pulling on Qrow's arm.

"Ehhh...I don't really feel like watching a fight right now. You can go on without me." Qrow said pulling his arm away.

The huntsman just sat there picking at his plate of food, which he barely touched.

"Are you sure? I heard that team CPPR is pretty impressive." Summer asked her best friend.

"I'll be fine on my own, short-stack." Qrow answered.

"Oh...okay." replied Summer, slightly disappointed.

She leaves the fair grounds and goes to the arena. Soon after she takes a seat, the fight begins. The fight was very good and it ended up with team CPPR winning. Afterwards, Summer bumps into team CPPR on her way out of the arena.

"Oh, hello! You guys were awesome." Summer told them.

"Your names are Clover, Philip, Punzie, and Rose, right? Haha, that's kinda funny, my last name is Rose." she laughed.

"Yeah, what a funny coincidence." replied Rose.

"Are you a huntress? Like...a licensed huntress?" asked Punzie.

"Yep." nodded Summer.

"Cooool." said team CPPR.

"Anyway, you guys have a lot going for you. When you graduate, you're gonna make great huntsmen and huntresses." Summer told the first-years.

"Thanks." Clover said.

"Can we get a picture with you?" Philip asked.

"SURE!" Summer answered excitedly. 

After taking a photo with the young huntsmen in training, Summer went off to find her family.

Present day...

Qrow and Clover are hanging out in Clover's room in Atlas, looking at old photos.

"Wait...that's Summer?" Clover asked looking at a team STRQ photo Qrow showed him.

"Yeah, why?" Qrow replied.

Clover grabs a photo from the box of old photos he had and hands it to his boyfriend. It was a photo of him and his team in their first year of combat school, and a woman in a white cloak.

"Woah, you actually met Summer before?" Qrow said surprised.

"Yeah, apparently I did. It was the Vital Festival and my team bumped into a huntress after our fight with team DMND." Clover replied.

"You're right, she was so sweet." he added.

"Huh...ya know, if I had gone to the arena with Summer that day, you would've met me there too." Qrow told him.

"Why didn't you?" Clover asked.

"I was going through stuff, and was too busy moping." replied Qrow.

The couple look at the photo with a fond smile...and a hint of sadness; because all the people in the photo, except Clover, was now dead and gone. But they both thought it was interesting that they could've had a chance to meet that day.