Fair Game: Qrow's Past pt.1

Requested by: Silverhearted2.

A/N: WARNING!: Contains emotional abuse, mental abuse, and physical abuse. Also contains a moment of animal cruelty.

Qrow was eight years old when his adoptive father hit him. He had done something the tribe leader didn't like, so he got a big smack to the back of the head, that caused him to fall into a puddle of mud. And when Qrow cried, Taka shoved his face into the mud until he nearly drowned...and his twin sister, Raven, just stood there watching, not even trying to help him.

"Crybabies will not be tolerated in this tribe, weakness will not be tolerated. Do you understand, boy!" Taka shouted at the child.

"Yes, sir." Qrow said looking down.

"Look me in the eye when you speak to me!" Taka yelled at Qrow grabbing his face and forcing him to look up.

"Y-yes, sir!" Qrow replied.

Taka lets go of him then walks away. Raven walks over to her brother and roughly pulls him to his feet.

"Why didn't you help me?" Qrow asked her.

"Just don't make him mad and stuff like this won't happen." Raven told him.

It was that day that Qrow learned not to let others see him cry. Whenever he had the need to cry, he would go somewhere where he would be totally alone and just let it all out. Qrow got beat a lot by Taka. Every small mistake he made would earn him a smack, punch, or kick. According to Taka, Qrow was worthless, weak, and stupid. Also, Taka would constantly remind Qrow that he was too pale and skinny...as if that was something that made him ugly. He also hated how low Qrow's immune system was, he hated that Qrow got sick a lot as a child.

"When will you learn to toughen up, you miserable little b*stard." Taka would always say.

The only reason Taka never killed Qrow or left him behind was that Raven somewhat cared about him. To Taka, Raven was the golden child, she was perfect. Raven was smart, strong, resourceful, obedient; so that made her Taka's favorite. For years, Taka praised one twin while beating the other one down. And because of this, Qrow began to seclude himself, never being around others. To him, the tribe was neither his friends nor his family...they were just an unfortunate situation he longed to escape.

"What did I ever do to deserve this?" Qrow would often ask himself.

When Qrow was fourteen, he found a stray black cat in the woods.

"Hey, little one, where's your family?" Qrow asked crouching in front of the cat.

The cat meows at Qrow. He looks around but sees no other cats.

"Ah, you're alone, aren't you? Me too...I don't have much of a family myself...they all hate me." Qrow told the cat.

Purring, the cat walks up to him and rubs against his knees. He happily pets the cat, smiling a real smile for the first time in a long time.

"Hey, do you wanna be my friend, kitty?" Qrow asked the cat.

Qrow took the little mew the cat made in response as a yes and took the cat back to camp with him. He named the cat Shadow and kept her solely in his tent. Shadow was trained to hide under Qrow's cot whenever someone but himself was in the tent. She hunted for herself, so Qrow never had to sneak food for her. Whenever Qrow was relaxing in his tent, Shadow would lay curled in his lap and purr as he petted her and scratched behind her ears. Whenever Qrow would come into his tent after a beating from Taka, Shadow would lick his bruises and nuzzle his cheek. Shadow was the only thing Qrow loved in the tribe. She made living in the tribe bearable...h*ll she made just plain living bearable.

"GET BACK HERE, YOU LITTLE B*STARD!" Taka shouted chasing Qrow into his tent.

Shadow immediately darts under the cot to avoid being seen by the angry tribe leader.

"How dare you run from me. Take your punishment like a man!" Taka told Qrow.

"B-but I didn't do anything wrong this time!" Qrow whimpered.

"Yes you did! You broke my tea set!" Taka yelled.

"I didn't! It just fell off the table, I swear!" Qrow said trying to escape from the grip Taka had on the collar of his shirt.

"How, though!? It wasn't even near the edge!" Taka growled in Qrow's face.

"I-I don't know how it fell but it did, I swear to the gods it did." Qrow replied.

"Whatever, it was still your fault." Taka grumbled.

Taka hits Qrow until his aura shatters, then knocks him to the ground. Before Taka could hit Qrow again, Shadow jumps out from under the bed and stands between him and Qrow. She growls, yowls, hisses, and swipes at Taka.

"Get out of here, fleabag!" Taka told Shadow.

Shadow lunges at Taka and latches onto his arm, biting and scratching him.

"Ow! You d*mn cat!" Taka said before grabbing the scruff of Shadow's neck and throwing her to the ground hard.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Qrow shouted jumping onto Taka.

Taka throws Qrow off of him and beats him down. Then he picks up Shadow by the scruff of her neck.

"Please...don't hurt her...I'm begging you." Qrow pleaded.

"You're begging? That's...pathetic. Gods, Qrow, you're just so disgustingly pathetic, it almost makes me sick." Taka said.

"I'm gonna show you what happens when you bring pests into my camp." he said darkly.

Right before Qrow's very eyes, Taka breaks Shadow's neck and drops her corpse in front of him. Next, he beats Qrow until he's on the edge of consciousness.

"Hope you've learned your lesson." Taka said taking out a handkerchief and wiping the blood from Qrow's nose and lip off of his knuckles.

"I...hate...you." Qrow rasped out.

"The feeling's mutual." Taka muttered before leaving the tent.

Even though it hurt like h*ll, Qrow dragged himself to where Shadow laid and pulled her to his chest.

"I'm sorry, Shadow...this is all my fault...you're dead because of me. If I had never let you get close to me...you'd still be alive. So many bad things happen to me and around me all the d*mn time. What's wrong with me? Why can't anything good happen?" Qrow sobbed quietly.

It was that day that Qrow's misfortune semblance manifested.

A/N: This chapter was so hard to write. Especially the part where the kitty died.😭😭