Fair Game: Roommates pt.1

A/N: Real World AU

Qrow is...a little stressed. His apartment building got a new landlord and they jacked up the rent to all the apartments. So now he's finding it hard to pay the rent for his two-bedroom apartment.

"Just get a roommate. Simple as that." Yang told her uncle.

"Yeah, that'll be so much easier than trying to find another place and moving." Ruby agreed.

"But that other bedroom is the one you guys sleep in when you stay over." Qrow said.

"Then we'll just sleep on the pullout couch in the living room whenever we stay over." Yang replied.

"You sure you guys would be okay with that?" Qrow asked.

"It's okay, Uncle Qrow, Yang and I don't stay the night often enough to warrant our own room. Besides having a roommate might be good for you. You've been...a little more depressed than usual lately and maybe making a new friend will help lift your spirits." Ruby answered.

"Just because they'll be my roommate doesn't mean they're gonna want to be my friend." Qrow said refilling his coffee mug.

"Well, it's kinda easy to become friends with someone you live with." Yang said.

"So, you really think I should get a roommate?" Qrow asked his nieces.

Yang and Ruby nod. Then next day, Qrow puts out an ad for a roommate. Over the next couple days, Qrow gets a lot of potential roommates, but none of them really caught his interest. Just when he was about to give up, Qrow gets an email from someone named Clover Ebi.

Clover: Hi, I saw your ad for a roommate. Is that still available?

Qrow: Yes.

Clover: Great! I can totally pay for my share of the rent and utilities, no problem. Also your apartment is close to where I'll be working, so it'd be perfect. So, would you please take me into consideration?

Qrow: I don't see why not. I do have to tell you that I have two nieces who like to come over a lot. Hope you don't mind them.

Clover: I don't mind at all. How old are they?

Qrow: One is 16, the other is 18. Full warning, they can be pretty rowdy sometimes.

Clover: What else would you expect from teenagers, lol.

After getting to know a little more about Clover, Qrow agreed to let him be his roommate. They handled all the paperwork online. It was the day Clover would be moving in and Qrow had his nieces help him tidy up the place.

"Thanks for the help, guys." Qrow said putting the cleaning supplies away.

"No problem, Uncle Qrow." Ruby smiled.

The oven beeps.

"Ooh, the cookies are done." Ruby said rushing into the kitchen.

She takes out the cookies and sets them on the counter. Yang and Qrow try to reach for one but Ruby swats their hands away.

"No! No cookies, not until Clover gets here." Ruby told them.

"Awww!" Yang and Qrow groan, pouting a little.

"So...have you met this Clover guy in person, yet?" Yang asked Qrow.

"Nah, we've only talked over email." Qrow replied.

About an hour later, the doorbell rings. Qrow answers the door, and a very handsome hunk of a man with gorgeous teal eyes is on the other side.

"Hi, are you Qrow Branwen? I'm Clover Ebi." said the guy.

"Y-yeah...that's me. Qrow Branwen, that's my name." Qrow replied nervously.

He shakes hands with Clover and lets him in.

"Wow, Uncle Qrow, where did you find this beefcake? Hotguys.com?" Yang said staring Clover up and down.

"Haha, you must be one of Qrow's nieces." Clover laughed.

"Yep. I'm Yang and this is my little sis, Ruby." Yang said pointing to herself then pointing to Ruby.

"It's nice to meet you all." Clover said.

"It's nice to meet you too." Ruby replied.

"Okay, so your room is right over there. There's already a bed, bedside table, and desk in there from when Yang and Ruby would stay in there whenever they stayed the night." Qrow told Clover.

"Cool, saved me a trip to the furniture store." Clover chuckled smiling.

Qrow involuntary blushes at seeing Clover's beautiful smile. He shakes his head, trying to remain focused.

"And, um, the bathroom is over there, my room is right next to yours, the building's laundry room is in the basement, and here's your key." Qrow said handing Clover a copy of the key for the apartment.

"Thanks, I'm gonna go get my stuff now." Clover said heading towards the door.

"I'll help." Qrow said.

"Me too." Yang added.

Once all of Clover's boxes were in his room, Ruby offers everyone the cookies she made.

"These cookies are great, kid." Clover told her.

"Thank you. Earlier, I was debating between chocolate chip and peanut butter." Ruby said.

"Well, I'm glad you chose chocolate chip, because I happen to be deathly allergic to all kinds of nuts." Clover said.

"Oh my, it is a good thing I didn't make those peanut butter cookies. I'd hate to have made something you wouldn't have been able to eat." Ruby replied.

After lunch, which was some pizza Qrow ordered, Yang and Ruby left.

"Was it just me, or did it seem like Uncle Qrow was...extremely infatuated with Clover?" Ruby asked her sister.

"Uh, yeah! Uncle Qrow couldn't take his eyes off of him. I mean, can ya really blame him? Clover's a total hottie." Yang replied.

"Oooooh, do you think they'd make a cute couple?" Ruby asked bouncing up and down.

"Totally! But first they have to get to know each other better." Yang answered.

Back in the apartment, Qrow is helping Clover unpack. Out of one of the boxes, Qrow pulls out an old Atlas University hoodie.

"Woah! You went to Atlas?! That's like...one of the most expensive universities in the country. How in the h*ll did you afford something like that?" Qrow said surprised.

"I served some time in the military, it helped pay for college." Clover replied.

"How long did you serve?" Qrow asked.

"Four years. Then I did four years of college." Clover answered.

"Yeah...I never did the whole college-thing. H*ll, It's a wonder that I even graduated high school." Qrow said rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Hey, it's okay, college isn't for everyone. And that's perfectly okay." Clover told him.

The more Qrow unpacked, the more he learned about Clover. Like that he's an only child, his parents's names are Joanna and Trevor, he likes exercise and healthy food, he had braces when he was young, he likes classical music, and he likes a lot of the same tv shows Qrow did.

"Hehe, looks like I picked the perfect roommate." Qrow said.

"Yeah, lucky you I came around." Clover said with a grin and a wink.

That wink caused Qrow's brain to momentarily malfunction and he tried so hard not to blush.

"Oh. My. God. Why is this guy so smooth...and why is he so HOT!?!" Qrow thought to himself.

Qrow wasn't sure how long he was going to live if Clover kept being all beautiful and perfect and making his heart skip a beat.