Fair Game: A Familiar Magic Between Us pt.1

A/N: Magic AU. Also, this title is brought to you by: Jenni_thewolffaunus.

There are two realms; the magic realm, and the mortal realm. The magic realm is where the mortal realm gets all their fairy tales and legends from, so all magical creatures reside in the magic realm. Humans exist in the magic realm, but they're not ordinary humans, they're witches and wizards. A witch or wizard develops their magic abilities at fifteen, and go to a junior magic school to learn how to control their abilities and simple spells. Then when a witch or wizard turns nineteen they go to secondary magic school and are assigned a familiar. A familiar is a magical animal companion that protects and aids the witch or wizard they are assigned to. Familiars have an animal form, what they're born as, and a human form. Their magic powers include: small force fields to shield their witch or wizard from harm, healing(only minor wounds), a slight empathic bond with their witch or wizard, and of course the ability to shapeshift from animal to human. Today, nineteen-year-old Clover Ebi is packing his things to go to the Atlas Academy of Magic.

"You excited?" his mother, Joanna, asked him.

"Yeah...and a little scared. What if I suck at all my classes? What if all my teachers hate me? What if I don't make any friends? What if I don't get along with my familiar?" Clover replied, rambling a bit.

"Ohh, baby." Joanna cooed, cupping her son's face.

She presses a gentle kiss to his forehead to calm his nerves.

"Clover, everything's going to be okay. Don't worry so much. All you have to do is try your best. And as for your familiar; even if you don't get along at first, I'm sure you'll eventually get along better." Joanna told Clover, pulling him into a loving motherly hug.

"You really think so?" Clover asked leaning into his mother's embrace.

"Mhm." Joanna nodded before kissing the top of Clover's head.

"Finish packing, baby, we have to get going soon." she added patting his shoulder.

"Okay, Mom." Clover said going back to packing his suitcases.

When he's done packing, Clover has his dad, Trevor, help him carry his things to the car. Clover's parents drive him to the train station where there's a train that'll take him, and other students, to the academy.

"Ohhh, Clover, I'm gonna miss you sooooo much!" Joanna cried dramatically, hugging her son very tightly.

"Nnhg...M-Mom...you're...c-crushing my...spine." Clover grunted, trying to escape his mother's grasp.

"Five more minutes! I'm not gonna be able to see my baby boy until thanksgiving!" Joanna replied, tightening her hold.

He may be over exaggerating, but Clover could have sworn he heard a bone pop or something.

"Daaaaad, heeeeeelp! Mom's going to make me miss the train." Clover called out desperately to his father.

"JoJo, dear, let him go." Trevor said, prying his wife's arms apart to free his son.

Clover catches his breath and rubs at his aching ribs.

"Bye, Mom, I love you." Clover said giving his mother a kiss on the cheek.

"Love you too, baby." Joanna said messing with his hair.

"Bye, Dad, love ya." Clover said giving his dad a hug.

"Bye, son, love ya too." Trevor replied hugging back.

Clover gathers his stuff and boards the train. On the train, he tries to find a place to sit. Unfortunately every cabin he came across was full. It took him a bit to finally find one that had only one other occupant.

"Are these seats taken?" Clover asked pointing to the bench across from the girl on the other bench.

"No. You can sit there." replied the girl.

Sighing in relief, Clover comes into the cabin and sets his stuff on one end of the empty bench and sits beside it. The girl with long blonde hair across from him gives him a friendly smile.

"Hi." the girl said.

"Hi." Clover replied.

"Soooo, what's you name?" asked the girl.

"Clover Ebi. Yours?" Clover answered.

"I'm Punzie Gothel." the girl greeted.

"It's nice to meet you, Punzie." Clover said shaking Punzie's hand.

"Nice to meet you too, Clover." Punzie replied.

"We're gonna be on this train for like...sixteen-ish hours, so might as well take the time to get to know each other." she added.

During the train ride, Clover and Punzie talk about themselves to each other. The two became fast friends. At one point, they sit on the same bench with their stuff on the other. Right now, Clover is French braiding Punzie's hair, while she read aloud from one of the many mortal realm books she owns. The book she was reading was Lord of the Flies. In the part she was reading, a certain character had just died.

"What!? Nooooo, not Piggy!" Clover gasped, pouting sadly.

"I know, right! Him and Simon were the only ones who didn't go completely bat-crap crazy; and now they're both dead!" Punzie agreed, also pouting sadly.

"Sorry to leave you on a cliff hanger..." she began to say.

"Poor choice of words, Punz, poor choice." Clover interrupted.

"Oops, sorry. Anyway, I'm gonna stop reading for a while, I'm...*yawn*...I'm getting sleepy." Punzie replied rubbing her eyes.

"That's fine, you've been reading for a few hours now." Clover said.

Punzie puts her book back in her backpack and grabs a blanket from her duffle bag. She wraps the blanket around herself and sits beside Clover. Curling against his side, Punzie rests her head on Clover's shoulder.

"Is this okay?" Punzie asked him.

"Yeah, I don't mind." Clover replied.

"You should probably get some sleep too." Punzie yawned.

Clover didn't have a chance to respond before his new friend completely conked out, sleeping peacefully against him. Smiling fondly, he gently pats her on the head, then leans his head on top of Punzie's and goes to sleep. The two sleep during the remainder of the train ride. The train coming to a stop is what woke them.

"Clover, look!" Punzie said looking out the window.

Clover looks out the window and sees the academy. He stares in awe at the beautiful building. It felt like a dream, he been waiting for this moment his whole life and it was now finally happening.

"Okay, everyone, off the train! Leave your stuff, the staff will deliver them to your dorms." said a teacher who had just come onto the train.

All the students on the train got off and followed the teacher, who had been on the train earlier, to the academy.

"First years to the dining hall for orientation! Everyone else head to your dorms!" the teacher told them.

Punzie suddenly hooks her arm around Clover's, getting his attention.

"I, uh, know this is probably a dumb question...but...we're friends, right? You're not, like, gonna ditch me to hang out with the popular kids...are you?" Punzie asked, insecurity evident in the look in her eyes and the tone in her voice.

"Of course I'm your friend, Punzie. In fact, you're the only friend I have." Clover told her.

"You're the only friend I have too." Punzie replied.

"Wanna make some new friends together?" Clover asked holding Punzie's hand.

Punzie nods, forest green eyes beaming with excitement. The friends walked hand-in-hand into the academy, ready to take on whatever adventures lie in their wake.