Fair Game: Good Luck Isn't Always A Good Thing

Clover's POV

Qrow and I were fighting with a gang of mercenaries. There were six of them, and they were much more formidable than either of us had anticipated. At one point, they managed to separate us from each other; three of them fighting me, while the other three faught Qrow way off somewhere else. With just a shred of my aura left, I was able to restrain the mercenaries.

"Clover!" Qrow called out from behind.

I turn and see my boyfriend limping towards me all bruised and ruffed up. He was also holding his ribs. I ran up to him and hugged him.

"Ow!" Qrow grunted, I must have hugged him too tightly.

"Sorry...are you okay?" I said placing my hands on his shoulders.

"I'll survive...but the mercenaries got away, and my aura is completely depleted." Qrow replied.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

"Yeah...I'm good." I tell him.

Qrow smiles at me, then he looks at something behind me and his eyes widen in terror. Before I could even ask what was wrong, he grabs my arms and flips us around as a gunshot rang out. Then he cries out and crumbles to the ground. Just before he hits the ground, I drop to my knees and catch him. He had been shot in his lower back. A few feet from us, one of the mercenaries I had restrained was out of his restraints and pointing a smoking gun at us.

"YOU SON OF A B**CH!!" I yelled angrily at him.

"That bullet wasn't intended for him...guess that good luck semblance of yours really works in your favor, huh?" replied the mercenary with a smirk.

Filled with intense rage, I gently lay Qrow on the ground, then I charge at the guy who shot him. I tackle him to the ground and repeatedly punched his face until he stopped moving.

"Unnnhg...C-Cloverrrrr!" Qrow groaned.

The immense pain in my boyfriend's voice snaps me out of my rage and I run back to him. Qrow was writhing and whimpering in pain.

"Shhh, honey, stop moving. Your back is injured, you have to lay still." I told him, petting his head.

"It...i-it...h-hurts...it hurts!" Qrow cried.

"I know, I'm gonna call for help. Please stay calm." I said...clearly not calm myself.

I called for immediate medical attention, then hold Qrow's hand to comfort him. Though he remained still, Qrow couldn't stop crying, whimpering, or groaning...he was in so much pain, and there was nothing I could do about it. This is my fault, I know it is. When my aura is very low, my semblance becomes uncontrollable. So, what obviously happened was that my good luck protected me by getting Qrow hurt instead. I was relieved to see an airship land nearby and people start rushing towards us. But, suddenly Qrow's eyes grow wide with a pained and frightened gasp, and squeezes my hand tightly.

"Cloverrrr!...I...I can't...I-I can't feel my legs...I can't feel my legs! Clover, I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!!! I'm scared, Clover, I'm scared!" Qrow screamed, crying and freaking out.

The medics reach us and put Qrow on a stretcher. The entire ride to Atlas, I held tightly to Qrow's hand, and I try my best to keep him calm. He was freaking out so much, the medics had no choice but to sedate him. Instead of being taken to Atlas Academy's infirmary, Qrow was taken to Atlas General Hospital, which was much closer. As they wheeled him to surgery, I was forced to wait in the waiting room. I sat down in a chair shaking. I was in such a state of shock, that my ears were ringing and my vision blurred. I didn't even register how much time passed...or the voice calling out my name.