Fair Game: The Black Bird of Vale pt.11

A/N: Vigilante AU.

The first time Qrow wakes up after the Tyrian attack, he's barely lucid and has a raging fever coupled with a hacking cough. The antidote had stopped the venom from killing him, but his body was still weak and needed to recover. Clover was there beside him, placing cold cloths to his head and giving him medicine to ease the symptoms. The second time Qrow regains consciousness, his fever is still pretty high, but he's completely aware of his surroundings. 

"Qrow, hun, can you hear me?" Clover said grabbing Qrow's hand.

"Clover?" Qrow replied, not knowing he was there until now.

"You're lucid...that's a good sign." Clover sighed, tense shoulders relaxing.

He brings Qrow's hand up to his lips and kisses it. 

"Qrow...I know you're Harbinger." Clover told him.

"Of course you do. You didn't just drop me off at the lair and leave, did you? You stayed." Qrow said, unable to look his boyfriend in the eyes.

"Yeah. I did." Clover replied.

"A-are you mad at me?" Qrow asked, his voice shy and weak.

"No, honey, I'm not mad. You have a right to your own privacy, and you've had this secret before you even met me. And I understand that you kept this from me to protect me." Clover said, pushing back Qrow's bangs.

"But...I lied to you. I was being hypocritical when I was mad at you for doing things I do almost every night. How can you not be mad at me? How can you still trust me?" Qrow cried.

Clover kisses Qrow's head then pulls him onto his lap. 

"I don't care about any of that. You did what you had to do. I would've done the same thing; because I wouldn't want to do anything that would put you in danger." Clover said holding Qrow close to his chest.

"So....what's gonna happen now?" Qrow asked.

"Well, I'm not going to force you to give up this vigilante stuff, that wouldn't be fair. But, if I feel like you're in no condition to go out, I will make you stay home. And...don't get mad at me if I happen to show up from time-to-time and help. I don't want you getting hurt just as much as you don't want me getting hurt, so please understand that." Clover answered.

"I do understand that. That's why I didn't tell you about any of this. I know that you can handle yourself pretty well, but you gotta remember that I have tech and gadgets, you don't. So if you're going to throw yourself into a fight, please think about it first." Qrow told him.

"Okay, honey." Clover agreed.

The moment was interrupted by Qrow coughing violently. To soothe him, Clover holds him and rubs his back. Qrow shakes and trembles as he tries to get his breathing back to normal.

"Ouch, that hurt." Qrow grunted.

"Lets get you laying back down so you can rest." Clover said kissing him.

"Don't do that, I'll get you sick." Qrow grumbled, hiding his face in Clover's neck.

"Qrow, you're not contagious, it's fine." Clover chuckled.

He tucks his boyfriend back under the covers and gives him medicine. Three days later, Qrow is still pretty weak and feverish, but not as bad as before. 

"Uhg, when will this be over!" Qrow whined.

"Pietro said you should be back on your feet in about four or five days, that is if you rest properly. Now, hold still and let me take your temperature." Clover said.

Clover sticks the thermometer into Qrow's ear and waits for it to beep. When it does, he sighs disappointedly at its results.

"102.5, same as this morning." Clover said frowning.

"D*mn it!" Qrow groaned.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door of Qrow's apartment.

"I'll get it." Clover said getting off the bed.

He kisses Qrow's cheek then leaves the bedroom and heads to the door to answer it. On the other side of the door was Qrow's nieces, Ruby and Yang.

"Oh, hi, you must be Clover, Uncle Qrow's boyfriend." Ruby said.

"Yeah, I am. What brings you guys here so suddenly?" Clover asked.

"We're here for a surprise visit." Yang replied.

"Ah, I'm sorry guys, now's not really a good time. Qrow's pretty sick right now." Clover told them.

"Sick!?" Yang and Ruby said in unison.

Before Clover could stop them, the sisters walk into the apartment and immediately head to Qrow's bedroom. Qrow tried to assure them that Clover had everything handled, but Ruby and Yang refused to leave, insisting that they wanted to help take care of their uncle. Meanwhile, back at Arthur's secret hideout, he waits to hear from Hazel, who he sent after Tyrian when he didn't return when he said he would.

"Well? What happened?" Arthur asked when Hazel returned.

"Tyrian's dead." Hazel told him.

"What? How?" Arthur replied shocked.

"I think Harbinger has an accomplice, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to kill Tyrian. Though, Tyrian did manage to poison him before he was killed; so there's a high probability that the vigilante is dead by now." Hazel explained.

"Hmmm, I suppose. But, just in case the b*stard's managed to survive, we'll keep an eye out for him...and his accomplice." Arthur said.

"I think I may know who this accomplice of his is. I saw him when I kidnapped that Schnee girl. He had brown hair, teal eyes, strong build, and looked to be about late twenties or early thirties. Our meeting was brief, but if I saw him again I would definitely recognize him." Cinder told them.

"Let's just focus on the task at hand. Cinder, when will your men be ready?" Arthur said changing the subject.

"In about a week or two, is that good?" Cinder replied.

"That'll do. I have to remind you all that failure will not be tolerated, nor can we afford it. If the second part of my plan is to be a success, this plan must be a success. Am I perfectly clear?" Arthur said seriously.

"Yes, sir." Cinder and Hazel nodded.

"Good." Arthur smiled.

Losing Tyrian was an unexpected setback, but the plan can still work without him. Hopefully Harbinger was either dead or too weak to be of any concern to the villain's plans. Arthur had no doubt in his mind about his plans. He had confidence that he'll succeed and that there will be nothing and no one to stop him. So, he waits patiently for everything to be ready before he can begin the first step of his master plan.